⊰53⊱

💫

Acacia/Ciarán - Age 15

My lips lightly part for his, one of Taron's hands releasing my upper arm and cradling my cheek gently, but firm enough I don't want to pull away. He tries to pull himself away...

...about the same amount I'm trying as well.

My heart skips a beat when he depends the kiss; his tongue already welcomed within my mouth. It's when I feel the heat beneath my skin set ablaze further, instantly warming my core that I pull away slightly, our lips separating.

Taron breathes out slowly while I catch my breath, our eyes slowly meeting with one another. Everything floods back though, and I can't ignore the pain I felt then...

...so I ask him now, "Is this just another mistake that I'll be blamed for?"

His eyes search mine, his hand still cupping my cheek while he brushes the stray tears away with the pad of his thumb. When Taron speaks, my pulse races, "You confided in me...the feelings you had for me...and I sent mixed signals that confused you when I shouldn't have. I was hurt...when I saw what I did with Mercury and you...though I had no right to be because I'm fulfilling a pack agreement between two alphas," I'm going to cry again, but the tears don't fall when he tells me, "I imprinted in my mind...that your feelings no longer exist the way you once saw me in your eyes, forcing myself to believe that you'd moved on..."

"N-Not...not with...Mercury, I-" I feel like I'm making excuses, but I don't have to...

He continues with, "In my heart, I knew better...but I don't have the luxury of acting on its beliefs and it made it easier for me to accept what was right in front of me...even when it didn't make sense," after a few moments of silence, he releases a sigh, though his eyes hold mine when he explains, "I'm doing what's supposed to be the right choice for my pack, ignoring the way I feel and sacrificing for everyone else."

"I-I...I know, Taron...that's why-"

"I know..." his voice holds pain, regret, and remorse...my heart reaching out to him.

I furrow my brows with confusion, my heart beating fast as I tell him more so than asking, "Your mate never died...because you never met your mate, did you?"

His eyes never leave mine as he honestly explains, "I met a girl as it's been said, rogues killed her...that is the truth...though there was never a way to know if she was my mate because we were young. My father heard from Alpha Keir that he accepted an agreement to make our packs stronger...so he had me lie to shut off my feelings and accept the responsibilities of sacrifice for pack over self..."

"Taron-"

Taron cuts me off right there, intensity swirling in those golden irises as he commands, "I don't know why I feel the way I do for you...Acacia, but somethings you can't outrun or ignore...tell me right now that this is just a mistake and I'll fulfill my agreement without another question by marking Sophia the next time I see her after I turn eighteen and I will remain a cordial friend."

"I never moved on...my feelings never changed for you," my voice is quiet and watery as I confess the way I continuously feel for him, though I know I shouldn't, "with the way my heart broke...I wish I had, but everything keeps pulling me back to you even when I try to avoid..."

Taron shifts a little closer to me and says, "I don't know what this is...but I want to see where it leads."

"I..." I'd be lying if I say otherwise, "...I do too..."

"If I have to make a choice...I want all my options before I choose," he's murmuring to me now, feeling myself being wrapped up in his scent as it fills my senses.