Mine

JORDAN:

I was drained, and a bit overwhelmed—-yet there was also this feeling I couldn't quite explain.

We were all now inside of Alexis's new apartment.

I sat on one of Alexis's boxes that were against a wall, as I viewed Alexis and my mom in the empty room that was going to be mine.

Alexis was blowing up my new air bed as my mom spoke her head off.

I also watched Paul stare and observe inside the room, well that was until he noticed I was sitting all alone in a whole other room,

I watched Paul start to exit the room, leaving my mom and Alexis bro themselves. Paul gave me a small sympathetic smile.

I returned a small one too, but mine wasn't as sincere as his. Mine probably wasn't a smile at all.

I noticed Paul coming closer in my direction, and in some seconds—-weirdly he sat on the floor which was next to the box I was resting on.

His back was against the wall, and his legs were crossed. He folds his hands and rest them on his crossed legs.

We both sat in silence, staring at Alexis and my mom inside of my new room.

However, I ignored the obvious of his presence.

As I made sure my eyes were focused elsewhere to let it be known I didn't want to speak.

"I'm sorry that all of this is happening", Paul says.

I now felt his eyes on me, but I remain looking forward.

I stayed quiet.

"I also wanted you to know that I understand your reasons for not wanting to stay along with your mother at my place", he speaks.

Still—-no words from me.

"I don't think you're wrong for not wanting to stay with some guy your mom is dating", Paul speaks again.

I didn't look at him, I continued to stare at the scene of Alexis and my mom.

"Jordan, I know it's new seeing your mom dating someone, but I'm not trying to force or change anything, okay?"

Still, I kept my eyes forward—as I said nothing.

"I really like your mom a lot, —You know what? I actually I think I might love her", he says in this matter-fact tone.

For some reason, that statement made me finally look his way.

Love? I knew what it was, and I knew about it. I just never heard anyone else actually speak on it. Especially not towards my mom, if it isn't family.