Chapter 7

I got through half of the movie before the anxiety kicked in

I got through half of the movie before the anxiety kicked in. I couldn't stop thinking about saying the wrong thing or overly embarrassing myself in front of everyone, especially Jacob.

What if I spill all the popcorn or if I slurp my drink too loud? What if my laugh is ugly or what if my outfit is too much?

I could see my hands shaking as I grasped a handful of popcorn and shoved it in my mouth. I probably look so gross right now...

Taking a few deep breaths, I try to focus on the movie but I couldn't concentrate. I felt lightheaded. My breathing deepened and the tips of my fingers tingled.

From the corner of my eye I see Jacob look over at me, his arm nudging mine.

"You okay?" He whispers as he leans in to me.

I don't reply.

"Hey. You okay?" He nudges me again. I was losing control, and I was slowly losing my mind.

He could see the fear in my eyes and my body was vibrating next to his.

"I need... I need to use the bathroom." I quickly say as I stand up and walk past him. I didn't really care that my ass was almost at his eye level, it wasn't my main priority. Ducking down, I power walk out of the cinema room. My chest was tightening and it felt like all the air was leaving my body.

No one was around when I walked out of the cinema room so I leant against the wall, trying to calm my breathing.

Breathe in... 1 2 3 4 5... breathe out. Breathe in... 1 2 3 4 5... breathe out.

I repeat this, switching from my mouth and nose. Steadily I slide down the wall, putting my head into my hands. Eventually my breathing returns to normal and my mind de-clustered. A tear left my eye and I didn't rush to wipe it away. What was the point? It was going to come back anyway.

I hear quick footsteps and I quickly look up to see Jacob rushing towards me. He had fear in his eyes and I quickly get up, wiping my tears away hastily.

"Are you okay?" He asks, leaning his head down to look at me.

"I'm sorry, I've got to go." I say as I turn away from him. His hand reaches out and clasps onto my wrist.

"What's wrong? Did... did something happen?" He questions worriedly.

"No I just... I need to go. I'm sorry, this wasn't how today was supposed to go." I tell him swiftly before trying to get my wrist out of his grasp. It was no use.

"Let me drop you off home." He says before taking a step forward.

"No I'll go by myself, it's okay." I tell him, not wanting to get into a car with him.

I would rather walk and get some fresh air and calm my brain down before I get home.

"It's late."He says all matter-of-factly.