Chapter 21

I most definitely was not going to dress up for the Halloween party. Even the cat woman bodysuit that was a couple years too small for me wasn't convincing enough.

There was a couple of hours left till I was supposed to leave. The doorbell rings, alerting me that there were trick or treaters here. The children always pick the big house at the end of the street because they assume that we have lots of sweets to hand out. I've never usually given out a lot, but since my parents are back, they are practically giving handfuls of diabetes to each child.

I hear mum greeting the young children in her abnormal baby voice. Sighing, I make my way down the spiral staircase in my pyjamas. Dad sat at the grey sofa, his glasses perched on the top of his nose. He had pushed the coffee table closer to him and it was covered in worksheets. His dark laptop was perched on his lap, on the verge of falling. The corners of his mouth was turned down in a frown and the wrinkles on his forehead stood out, now more than ever. Even know, he was wearing a clean, newly ironed suit.

Even at home, on Halloween, dad couldn't wear casual clothes. I don't remember the last time I saw him wear something that wasn't his suit. I've never even seen him with an untucked shirt. Something that gobsmacked me was that his hair wasn't slicked to the side and it sat as a messy rumple on his head.

When I walked into the room, his head snapped up to me. He forcefully smiled a tight smile before focusing back on the laptop. I didn't return it and carry on walking into the kitchen. I decide to warm up some leftover lasagne from last night and eat it before the Halloween party.

Just as I was putting my plate of cheesy lasagne into the microwave, I hear the clicking of my mother's heels from behind me. Taking a deep breathe in, I turn around and prepare myself for her— most likely— harsh words.

"Are you going anywhere today, sweetie?" Even though she wasn't going to step out of the house today, she still looked her best.

"Yeah. Halloween party." I answer curtly, heating up the lasagne at the same time.

"Did you get invited?" The surprise was evident in her voice, the way it raised and the way she squeaked a little.

Is it that surprising that I got invited to a party?

"Yes, I did."

"Well... erm... this can be a way to prove that you're getting better, right? You're making friends and you're putting yourself out there." I knew she was unsure, I could tell my the tone of her voice.

And then the question dawned me, if mum was unsure, how much hope do I have? I shake the thoughts away just as the microwave beeps from behind me.

But if mum is unsure, surely I should be worried too, right? Maybe I shouldn't go... But then Jacob will hate me for ditching. What the heck do I do? Mum had already confused me and I don't think I could listen to another word.

Taking my plate out of the microwave, I walk past her and into the dining area. I didn't hear the click of her heels behind me so I let out a deep breathe, sitting down to eat my lasagne.

***

I finally decided to wear an oversized DC shirt with baggy jeans. Matching this with blue Jordan's, I was ready to go. Without saying goodbye to my parents, I take my car keys from them and flip the switch to open the garage door. Walking to the side of my house, I finally sigh in relief when I see my car again. My grey Mercedes sat crispy clean in the middle of the garage. I wide smile encased my face as I eyed it. It was a little dusty, but it wasn't something that I'd fret over.

I took my sweet time getting to Jacob's house, especially because I didn't have to take a bus. I was able to enjoy my own taste in music, I wasn't surrounded by old women and it was just me, myself and I.

Even though I had the ability and the car to go speedily down the empty roads, I wanted to revel in this feeling.

By the time I had arrived to Jacob's house, I was fifteen minutes late. I looked at the driveway of his and Laura's house and it was covered in litter and people. Most of them wore a Halloween costume ranging from vampires to Teletubbies. I suddenly felt out of place in my plain clothes and I wanted to go back home to change into my Halloween costume.

What if I'm judged for what I'm wearing? What if they laugh at me?

As soon as I left the car, I swear all heads turned to me. I gulp. It was so evident that everyone was saying stuff about me and the side glances they gave me made it pretty obvious.

I shouldn't have come here. What was I thinking? This was stupid.

Just as I was about to turn back into my car, I see that that the gate to the side of the house was open. Nobody was surrounding the gate and it was tucked away behind bushes. It was almost as if someone had intentionally opened the gate.

Taking a deep breath and shaking away my nerves, I quickly move towards the gate and run through to the back garden. There were less people here but the entrance to the house wasn't covered my bodies so I managed to make it into the house. The back door had led to the kitchen, where only a couple of people were filling in cups of alcohol. I quickly rinse out a cup and pour in some margarita.

My eyes scanned the crowd, complimenting the costumes that some people wore and gagging at others' fashion sense. It wasn't long until my eyes fell on Jacob and, holy shit, he looked good.

He, like me, didn't dress up for Halloween. However, he did put in an effort into looking good.

Jacob wore an untucked dress shirt, the first few buttons weren't done up so his chest was on display. I imagined myself running my hand down it- No. stop. He had paired it with dark slacks and they hung loosely on his hips. The sleeves of his shirt were rolled up and his his hands were stuffed into the pockets of his trousers. A small smile was playing on his lips as he talked to Charlie, who came dressed as a clown. Typical.

My breathe catches in my throat when Jacob's head turns in my direction, like he knew I was there, and his eyes bore into mine.

I want to apologise to my beloved Marvel for choosing the DC shirt over them. It was a betrayal of another kind and I know that no amount of apologies can make up for this sin.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! The next one is a *wink* good one *wink*.

I AM SO FRICKING EXCITED FOR SPIDERMAN, WORDS CANNOT EXPLAIN MY ENTHUSIASM FOR THIS DAMN MOVIE!

So yes, I got excited and added the trailer to the top of this chapter... ENJOY.

On the real tho, a part of me knows that Tobey and Andrew aren't gonna be in this movie but I'm holding on to that sliver of hope that they have at least a cameo or something.

But OTTO OCTAVIUS MFING KING SHIT. "Hello... Peter." GOOSEBUMPS. EVERYWHERE.

Aaaand.................................................. scene.

-H ⚫️⚪️⚫️⚪️