Chapter 34

The project that me and Laura are working on is almost finished. Recently, she's been putting the finishing touches to it herself because I've been unavailable. Now, I'm ready to integrate myself back into society and see my friends again.

As I stand outside of Laura's house, I smile and wave at Jacob as he leaves to go to Charlie's house. He did lean over the long Bush separating both houses and give me a quick kiss before Aiden had interrupted us, asking Jacob to drop him off at therapy.

Laura opens the door just as Jacob quickly blows me a kiss before jumping into his car. I look over to her to see a sly smirk on her face.

"Hmm. I see you both have evolved from innocent, young children." She says, ushering me into her house. "I'm so proud of you."

"We didn't do anything." I sigh, lying through my teeth. "I mean... What did he tell you?"

Laura scoffs before laughing. "Jacob doesn't tell me anything about the two of you." She shrugs her shoulders. "Oh, well. It's not my relationship."

Huh? Jacob doesn't tell Laura about us? I always thought that he told her everything, and that included things about me. I was somewhat uncomfortable with Jacob telling Laura everything, but I guess it's okay, now that he hasn't told her we had sex.

"We're not in a relationship." I tell her, clearing my throat. "I don't really know what we are." I say, following Laura into the dining room. Her laptop was sitting on the table with her biology books spread across the dining table.

She looks back at me, before gesturing to my seat. "Haven't you asked him?" She asks, tilting her head at me.

I shake my head, embarrassment rising to my cheeks. "It'll be so awkward... And, I don't know, a bit weird, right? What if he's not ready for a relationship?"

Laura laughs, running her hand through her blonde hair. "Girl, Jacob has been ready for a relationship ever since he met you."

Just as I'm about that respond, footsteps thunder down the stairs and into the dining room. Chase looks from Laura to me. Then, he smiles and greets me.

"Hey, Aria. I haven't seen you in ages. How've you been?"

It's always been a struggle of mine to connect with people I've spoken to before, but I haven't talked to in a long time. So, right now, looking at Chase's smiling face and easy-to-talk-to personality, I'm shitting myself.

"Hi." I say, not keeping eye contact with him. "Nice to see you, again. I've been good."

Chase nods his head and smiles at me, before he crosses his arms over his chest. "Have you almost finished your project?" He asks. "Maybe we can all go out and get some food. Ill invite Jacob, too."

"Jacob's busy." I say, way too quickly. Chase looks at me, a confused look on his face. I see Laura grinning from the corner of my eye, shaking her head slightly. "I mean..." I say. "I assume he's busy. I saw... I saw him leaving earlier."

"That doesn't necessarily mean he's busy." Laura says, teasing me. I glance at her and shoot her a warning with my eyes. "I mean, I'm hungry so... I'm down for some food."

I sigh. Chase smiles.

"Great. Tell me when you've finished your project. I'll drive us."

"Hasn't your car broke down?" Laura asks, putting her hands on her hips.

Chase shrugs it off. "No, the car's fine. I'm sure it has a few more miles left." Then, he nods his head at me, shows Laura the finger and then leaves the room. Laura rolls her eyes and sits down.