Chapter 29

After changing out of Jacob's hoodie, I meet him downstairs

After changing out of Jacob's hoodie, I meet him downstairs. He stood at the door, his hands stuffed into his pockets and his head down. When he hears me, he looks up and moves towards the front door.

"Ready?" He asks, holding the door open with his foot.

"Yep." I say, slipping on my trainers and walking towards Jacob. He doesn't move so I slip under his arm and out of the house.

Jacob follows behind me and we walk in silence to his car. Getting in, I feel the anxiety begin to crawl into my skin, but I push it back. I force myself to smile and be happy, today is a happy day. It's my birthday, and I'm going to enjoy it with a boy that I liked.

But the thoughts running through my mind had other ideas. Today is not supposed to be a good day. Today is a miserable day. No it's not- Yes it is. Nobody loves me, nobody wants me. Nobody wants to see that I made it to my eighteenth birthday. Nobody cares. Nobody cares. Nobody, except the brown-haired boy next to me. He's here. He's here and he cares about me enough to take me somewhere nice. He bought me tickets to ice skating, for God's sake. He's here and I'm so damn glad that he is.

I wring my fingers together, rubbing the skin between my forefinger and thumb. Then, I feel another hand wrapping around mine. I look towards Jacob and I fight the smile. He's looking at me with sincerity, giving my hand a small squeeze.

"Don't worry, okay? You'll have fun, I promise." He whispers, staring the car and leaving the driveway. "I didn't know whether you'd like ice skating, but I figured that if you don't, I'll just take you somewhere else."

"No... I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I've actually never been before."

"Really?"

I nod my head. As a kid, I always wanted to go ice skating, but, because my parents were never home, I didn't trust anyone else to take me. Even when they were home, they were always working, so I never had the chance to do something really fun with the only people I love. Auntie Riley had offered to to take me with her to her family trips, but I was never close with her kids.

It was hard for me to connect with my family, no matter how large it was. Most of them are in the same business as my parents, so, it's too much effort to always call them to check up on them all the time.

"Well, I hope you have a really nice time, today." Jacob says, glancing at me.

"Thanks." The awkward silence erupted between us. I lean my head against the window, staring out at the scenery whilst Jacob continued to drive along the road.

***

We parked outside of a ice skating building and made our way inside. The rink was huge. Jacob payed for the ice skates, and we were on our way. I think it's kind of obvious that I don't know how to skate, so when Jacob pulls himself into the rink and holds his hand out for me, I don't know why I die of embarrassment.

Anxiety, go fuck yourself.

"It's kind of easy once you get used to it." He says, leading me to the middle of the rink. He holds both my hands out in front of me, and I slightly bend my legs.

Slowly, Jacob pulls me with him, holding me as he skates across the rink. Half the time, my eyes were closed and I refused to open them, but when I did, I found Jacob staring at me with such adoration in his brown eyes.

And, surprisingly, I really enjoyed my birthday. All because of Jacob.

***

Jacob parked outside of my house, turning his engine off and facing me. A small smile encased his face and darkness loomed all around us as the sun set. I find that I can't look away. As much as I want to, I don't stop gazing into those brown eyes of his.

"I shouldn't have said all that shit to you, the other day." Jacob says, quietly. I look at the console between us, quickly losing the nerve to keep eye contact with him. "I didn't... I didn't mean it. And, that doesn't excuse what I said, but-"

"Jacob." I say. And just like that, I made my decision. I want to be with him. I want him to be with me. I want to spend my time with him and kiss him and hold him and laugh with him. I want to cuddle him and take new steps with him and look forward to seeing him. "I want to be with you."

He stops breathing. I think I do, too. Then, he reaches out and tilts my chin to face him. My eyes lift to meet his. He smiles at me, moving a strand of hair out of my face.

"I want to be with you, too." He says, the words quiet and clear. "I want to be with you, okay? I want you, all of you. Even the parts of you that you think are broken. I want to be a shoulder to cry on and someone who you can rely on for anything. And, Aria, I want to be the man you fall in love with." He says, not looking away from me. My mouth opens, slightly.

My heart felt... full. Like it couldn't get any fuller. I wanted to fall in love with Jacob, too. I've never been in love before, and I'd gladly let Jacob be the first man to hold my heart in his hands.

"Wow." I exhale. "that's... that's a lot to take in." Jacob chuckles quietly. "I... wow."

Instead of speaking, I lean forward and kiss him. Right on his lips. Jacob startles, moving back slightly. Then, his hand curls around my neck and he pulls me forward. I smile into the kiss, leaning over the console.

I press my hands to his cheeks, deepening the kiss. Jacob's tongue slips into my mouth and his fingers dig into my neck. Using his spare hand, he pulls my thigh up.

Climbing over the console, I straddle him. Even though the position was slightly uncomfortable, the pleasure of hearing Jacob's breathy groans was worth it.

His fingers drag down my back, pushing me to him, chest-to-chest. His groans filled the car and I realise that I could easily get used to this. Very easily. I circle my arms around his neck and kiss him deeply, pulling at the strands of hair on the back of his head.

I feel his cold fingertips on my skin as he slips his hand under my shirt. They caress my skin, travelling further and further up. He skims the bottom of my bra, and I grab his hand, making him cup my boob.

My breathing changes. It gets caught in my throat and my body sizzles and vibrates with excitement.

I pull away when I hear my phone ring in my pocket. Jacob presses his forehead to my temple, and closes his eyes. His harsh breath hits my cheek as I slip my phone out of my pocket.

It was my mum.

She's baaaaack!

So, I took a break from this book to gather my ideas and get a solid story line. Now that I have it, I hope the updates will be more consistent.

Thanks to all of you who waited. ❤️

- H ⚫⚪⚫⚪