Chapter 46

This chapter contains connotations of suicide.

It's funny how life works, isn't it? How, one minute, you can be with the girl you love, and the next

It's funny how life works, isn't it? How, one minute, you can be with the girl you love, and the next... everything just falls apart. And, as I drove home that night, I couldn't help thinking that, maybe, me and Aria were meant to be, just not made to last.

It's the sweetest pain, being around her. Feeling her icy heart cut me, but not caring because at least I hold it in my hands. She may try to push me away. She'll try her damn hardest, I know she will. But, I'll keep on holding her until she understands that I'm not letting her go.

My parent's car isn't in the driveway when I get home. I shake my head, knowing that they've left Aiden by himself again. Aiden, who is like his old self again. Aiden, who smiles more than he has in years. Aiden, who wants to spend more time with me then ever before. Aiden, my younger brother. He's finally back.

I unlock the door to my house. It's eerily silent as I walk in, throwing my car keys into the pot at the side. "Aiden?" I shout, even though I know he's here. It's past his curfew, and he's always home at this time. There's no answer. "Aiden?" I say, a little louder this time. I wave of uncertainty and fear rushes through me for no reason.

Nothing looks weird in the living room, and as I'm about to make my way upstairs, my eyes catch a glimpse of a white sheet of paper on the coffee table. I quickly run up to it, my back to the living room door.

It was Aiden's handwriting. And the letter was addressed to me.

Jacob, It started. I take a huge breath. Why would Aiden write me a letter?

I can't do this anymore. I'm breaking and no one's noticing. No one's helping me. I wish I could tell you all of this to your face, but I can't. I don't want to see the look of disappointment and anger you'll have for me if I told you.

You know I love you, and I know you love me, too. But, sometimes, the pain I hold is too much. I want to live. I want to love the rest of my days, and get married to Marianna and have a bunch of kids. But, I'm tired of just existing. I'm tired of living the same twenty four hours every single day. And, I'm tired of waiting for the day where you abandon me. When mum and dad decide that the troubled child of the family is too much of a burden for them. That's why they're never here, right?

The only person who ever truly understood me was Aria. She understood me because she knew what I felt, and she knew what I wanted to do to myself. Help her, Jacob. It may be too late for me, but you can still help her.

I didn't want this, Jacob. I didn't want my story to end this way, but it has. I don't want to hurt you or our parents, but l my life isn't worth it. Nothing is worth it, anymore. Not even Marianna.