Chapter 17

"You never showed up yesterday

"You never showed up yesterday." Is the first thing I say to Laura when I see her at college.

"I had a guest." She smugly replies, a wide grin on her face.

"A fuck buddy?" She shrugs nonchalantly before she carries on eating her sandwich. Charlie sits opposite us, deep in conversation with Eve.

My mind wanders to Jacob and Laura. They have been neighbours their entire lives and they may have done... stuff with each other. Hell, they could even be friends with benefits!

Taking a deep breathe, I gather up the courage to ask Laura a simple question.

"You and Jacob have been neighbours for a long time..." Laura nods her head.

"And you've grown up together..." She nods her head again, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

"And you've both been... horny teenagers..." I whisper before Laura responds.

She laughs quietly, shaking her head.

"Are you asking if we've hooked up?" My cheeks redden with embarrassment but I still nod my head.

"Girl, I came out as gay when I was thirteen." She says nonchalantly.

My mouth drops open. How did I not know that Laura was gay? She's one of the most popular people at college and I didn't even know?

"You're what?" I was still in a state of shock.

Laura stifles a giggle before replying to me. "Gay. It's when someone is attracted to people of the-"

"I know what being gay means."

From the corner of my eye, I see Jacob approaching the table, a solemn look on his face. He looks up and his brown eyes connect with mine, and his face lights up. I fight back the blush that was forming on my face. He quickly sits next to me, draping an arm over my shoulder. My eyes widen at the gesture but I don't move away. Weirdly, it was oddly comforting.

"I thought you had football practise?" Laura asks, pointing her pinky finger at Jacob,

"I needed an excuse to see Aria." He glances at me, my cheeks are blazing with heat.

"Awww." This was Charlie. He was eavesdropping on the conversation because Eve had engaged in conversation with Jonah. "Since when you two become a thing?" He wiggles his eyebrows, making suggestive noises.

"We're not a thing." I scoff, taking a bite from my sandwich.

Jacob slowly takes his arm off of my shoulder and nonchalantly rakes his fingers through his hair before resting it on the back of my chair. I felt cold from the sudden departure of his warmth.

"What're we talking about?" Jacob asks, taking a sip of my coffee.

"Aria, here, didn't know that I'm gay."