Chapter 47

I stared at Aria's text to me

Can we meet up? Need 2 talk. Meet me at Haywood Park at 2.

It was the next day, everything had quietened down from the chaos of last night. The ambulance had taken Aiden's body to the morgue, and me and my parents had gone back home. Everything was cold. I showed my parents the letter, we cried some more, and went to bed. Although, I don't think any of us slept a wink. I was awake all night, my mind replaying the events of Aiden's death.

I saw Aiden getting hit by that car repeatedly in my head, and the image of his bloody, bruised up body won't leave my head. I had tossed and turned in bed, begging my mind to spare me, but nothing worked.

I'm pulled out of my thoughts by a knock on my bedroom door. I quickly grab my hoodie from my bed and slip it over my head before going to open the door. Laura stands on the other side, her head bowed and her arms at her side.

"Hey." I say, and she looks up. A sad smile encases her face, and I can't help it when I sigh and pull her in for a hug. Her arms go around my waist and she buries her head in my chest.

Laura has been my friend since we were kids. I don't know what I'd do without her. I move back, grabbing my phone from the bedside table and checking the time.

1:45.

I sigh, running a hand over my face and through my hair. "I have to go." I tell Laura. "I'm meeting up with Aria."

"Um..." Laura says, fidgeting. "Are you-are you okay? I can't imagine what you went through past night. I don't... I'm so sorry."

I shake my head, wiping away the tears that had formed in my eyes. "I'm not sure I can talk about it just now." I say, and Laura nods her head in understanding. "I need time."

"Yeah." She whispers, smiling up at me. "But, I'm here for you, okay? Whenever you need to talk to me."

***

Aria is sitting at a bench at Haywood Park, scrolling through her phone. Her head lifts and she sees me, a small front on her face. She can see I haven't slept a wink last night and I look like shit. I think my skins about to break out.

She slowly stands up, slipping her phone into the back pocket of her cargo pants. When I go in to hug her, I feel her hand on my chest, keeping me back.

"What's wrong?" I ask her, sensing the air change around us. She doesn't keep eye contact with me and fidgets with her hands in front of her.

"I don't know how to say this, but..." She sighs, shaking her head. "I think we should see less of each other." Aria says. My eyebrows furrow in confusion, and I take a step away from her.

"Is this about what happened yesterday?" I ask her, crossing my arms over my chest. "Because, I'll promise to forget about it if you want me to."