Chapter 18

The thing that I like about football is the atmosphere

The thing that I like about football is the atmosphere. The feeling of people of different backgrounds, different stories, uniting to support one team. The team that they will cheer on through the wins and the losses and the team that they will defend and protect. I also love how it's all a huge family, unconditional.

That's why a surge of electricity swept through my body when I entered the football field. Electricity and cold. It was absolutely freezing and all I was wearing was a white shirt and baggy jeans. Great.

Laura walked beside me as I searched the grounds. She pulls on my arm and we swiftly make our way to the Ridgeside locker rooms.

"Let's give Jacob a quick pep talk before he plays." Laura whispers in my ear and then we're standing outside the locker rooms.

"We're not going in there, are we?" I ask, shyly.

Laura scoffs and places her around my shoulder.

"Into a room full of skanky testosterone and- dare I say- the smell of sweat?" Laura fake gags before shaking her head at me.

Like it was rehearsed, Jacob swings open the door and then he's standing in front of us. His eyes instantly go to me and a small smile plays on his face.

"Hey, you made it."His eyes travel to my arms, that were wrapped around my body. "Are you cold?"

Before I could answer, he was already taking of his jacket and flinging it over my shoulder. Like I needed babying, Jacob guides my arms through the hole, his fingers lingering on my wrist for a beat too long. I give him a quick smile when he pulls away.

"Thanks, Jacob." He nods his head in courtesy before bringing both me and Laura in for a hug.

"Good luck out there, okay?" Laura says, placing her hand on his shoulder.

"Thanks, L." Jacob smiles before he's called back into the locker room by a team member.

"I'll meet you both after the game, yeah?" His eyes were trained on me as I nod my head and give him a curt smile.

"Of course. Good luck with your game."

Me and Laura walk back onto the field.

"Dinner's on me if Ridgeside wins."Laura whispers, making me smile.

"Isn't there a party afterwards?" I ask, curiously.

"There is but I wasn't sure that you would wanna go. Sorry, I should have asked-"

"No no, it's okay. I'll think about it."

The idea of a party wasn't the most appealing. But I also don't want Laura to miss out because of me. I should go with them, right? It would save an awkward conversation. I won't be humiliated for not going. Laura might like me more if I do go...