Chapter 24

I didn't want to go to college. I'm not sure that I wanted to show my face after being humiliated by Jacob. He's probably told the whole friendship group and I wouldn't be able to sit with them like I usually do.

I tried to talk myself out of going but my parents were adamant that I needed to go.

I slip on a white hoodie and baggy jeans before grabbing my school bag, shoving in last-night's homework, and quickly retrieving my car keys and leaving the house.

As I started the slow drive to school, I revisited the last couple of days' adventures.

Firstly, I hadn't expected myself to kiss Jacob but I was drawn in by him. I had no control over my actions, it kind of just... happened. I also wasn't expecting him to kiss me back. The kiss had so much need and built up tension. I didn't think he was going to ask me out on a date and I didn't assume that he was going to stand me up. He hadn't texted me after until this morning but I decided to ignore it.

I'll talk to him at school but I don't expect any rekindling of friendship happening. None of that, none at all.

Luckily, I've managed to avoid them so far, it's now time for lunch. I'm hungry, so I'm definitely not going to miss out on eating but I knew that there would be no way of avoiding him now. I tried to stay in the background but as soon as I entered the canteen, strong hands had gripped onto my shoulder and I was being pushed out. So much for getting food.

Jacob dragged me through the crowds of college students and I tried to wiggle out of his grip but it was too strong.

"Where are we going?" I struggle to speak at the speed he was pushing me back at and I almost trip but he grips my waist.

He didn't answer, instead, I'm pushed through a door to an empty classroom. Jacob closes the door and locks it behind him before leaning his back against it. I storm towards the desk and rest against it, crossing my arms across my chest.

I take a moment to scan his body and I see that he's wearing a black hoodie, his hands were behind his back and he wore dark jeans to match it. How can I stay upset with him when he looks so good?

"Please let me explain myself?" He says, his eyes pleading.

"Did you have to drag me out of the canteen like a drama queen to do that?"

He ignores my remark and stalks toward me, his hands in a prayer position at the front of his lips. "It was my brother, he-"

I shake my head multiple times. "Don't... use him as an excuse. You could have called. Hell, you could have texted me!"

"You don't understand, my mind was occupied with the shit with my brother, that I completely forgot to text you and then my phone died and I couldn't charge it until I got home from the hospital. By then, it was too late to go to your house so I thought I could text you this morning to explain everything but you didn't answer so I dragged you in here." He says it all in one breathe and I have to stop myself from laughing at the way his cheeks were flushed and his hands were moving around in front of him.

When I don't say anything, he runs his hands over his face and carries on talking.

"Look... I really like you, Aria. I'm not purposefully trying to hurt you, I'm sorry." He shoves his hands into his pockets and ducks his head. "I'll understand if you don't wanna go out with me... we can be friends?"

My hand reaches out and tilts his chin up to look at me, his eyes were dark and I could already see the walls he was putting up. "It's okay, Jacob." I smile lightly at him. "We can have a do-over."

His eyes light up and he wraps his arms around my body. I squeal as he brings me closer to him. "I'm really sorry." He mumbles as he nuzzles his face into my neck.

"You have to make it up to me with an amazing date." I laugh and wrap my arms around his neck.

"Don't worry, I will."

Something occurs to me, Jacob had mentioned his brother and said that he was at the hospital. I quickly pull away from him. "Why were you at the hospital? Is your brother okay?"

Jacob's face falls and he turns away from me. "He, uh... he got really angry yesterday."

"What happened?" Jacob plays with his fingers before he turns around, tears had gathered in his eyes and I gasp before approaching him. I take his hands in mine and kiss each knuckle. "It's okay," I whisper. "You can tell me."

"He... started to hurt himself." All air is knocked out of my lungs and I find myself letting Jacob bury his head in my chest. "And we had to take him to the hospital."

Forcing myself not to cry, I run my fingers through his hair.

"I'm so sorry. Is he okay?" Jacob doesn't respond. "Jacob? Is he okay?"

Worry builds up in the bottom of my stomach and I feel my heartbeat increase. Jacob lifts his head slowly and looks me in the eyes. He nods his head and I breathe out a sigh of relief.

I found myself unable to speak because of Jacob's heated gaze on me. I felt my soul catch fire as he kept his eyes on mine and I realised something. Eye contact is a dangerous, dangerous thing. But lovely, oh so lovely. Looking into his golden brown pupils changed the entire conversation. There was something more, something more than his brother, something more than my anxiety. There's something so much more intimate about it than words will ever be.

We're just looking at each other. And I can feel something between us. Something even more intimate than we've ever done. Eye to eye. It's the most powerful connection in the world.

His hands leave my waist and he cups my face. Jacob's thumb caresses my cheek and before I could react, he had lowered his head and kissed me. It wasn't soft, it was desperate. It was like his life depended on the air between my lips.

His head moves back and then his lips are on mine again, pushing me back slightly. I curl my arm around his neck and thread my fingers through his hair. The kiss was tongueless, a sweet lip to lip kiss. It binds our souls in seconds.

I lean into it, Jacob's hands travelling to my neck, where he rests them on my nape. As we pull away, Jacob plants a soft kiss on my forehead, his lips lingering for a while. I smile slightly at the gesture. Forehead kisses are the most beautiful things in the world.

A kiss on the forehead is such a small gesture but it's so sweet and meaningful.

Hey!

This is so cute I'm crying and throwing up.

So I got two Spider-Man spoilers and I'm so close to killing myself. It's two of the BIGGEST spoilers of the entire movie and now I'm gonna cry myself to sleep.

In tears rn.

Goodnight.

-H ⚫️⚪️⚫️⚪️