Chapter 50

Jonah was on the floor, trying to lift himself up

Jonah was on the floor, trying to lift himself up. He was breathing heavily, one hand covering his bloody mouth. I look at the door that Jacob just rushed through, and I want to follow him. But, it's clear he needs space. And, I'm clearly not the exact person he wants to see, right now. Charlie kneals down next to Jonah, his hand on his shoulder.

"Are you okay-" He begins to ask, but Jonah pushes him away, jumping to his feet. He stumbles away from us, and our mouths are agape as we watch after him. "What a dick." Charlie mumbles, standing up and brushing away the dirt on his suit. He approaches me, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. "Are you okay?" He asks, and I nod my head, trying to smile at him.

"We should go home." Laura says, pulling me away. "I'm sure the teachers have heard about the fight. We might as well leave before they start asking questions." She says, and I nod my head and take her hand in mine. Laura leads us out of the hall and out of college.

The limo is still waiting by the time we get out, and me and Laura rush into the car.

***

I knock on Laura's door, stuffing my hands into the pockets of my white cargo pants. When she opens the door, she looks like she's ready to leave. "Oh." I say, tilting my head. "Are you going somewhere?"

"Yeah. It's Jacob's cup final today." She says. Shit. I totally forgot about his cup final. And, because he's the most important person on the team as their main striker, I'm sure he's nervous.

"Have you talked to him, yet?" I ask her, wondering if they've spoken since the disaster of last night's prom. Now that college has officially ended, I'll be going to University after the summer and I want to make sure I clear the air with him.

Laura shakes her head, stuffing her hands in her coat pockets. "I haven't. He wasn't answering his phone, and when I went over, his mum said that he wasn't home." She says, looking down to the ground. "I hope he's okay."

"Me too." I say, crossing my arms over my chest. "Well, I think I'm probably just gonna go home-"

"Come to the game with me." Laura says, and my eyes widen at the suggestion.

"What? No, I can't."

"Why not?" She asks, frowning.

"Jacob won't want me there." I say, taking a step back and Laura shakes her head, crossing her arms over her chest. "Seriously, Laura. I broke up with him."

"Please." She begs, stepping out of her house and closing the door behind her. "I need your emotional support."

I sigh, nodding my head in defeat. "Fine." I say, crossing my arms over my chest. "But after this, you're gonna have to find a new emotional support toy. I'm not gonna go to anymore of Jacob's football games."