Chapter 48

I'm a fucking idiot

I'm a fucking idiot.

The past month, I haven't seen Jacob, and I'm pretty sure that it's better that way. I've barely hung around with Laura, but I don't blame her. I would also distant myself from someone if they completely ripped out my best friend's heart. Even though she called me a few days ago and asked to join her at prom, I wanted to get out of the house and spend time with someone other than the four walls of my bedroom.

I even went online and bought a silky, gold prom dress with a slit down the side and a belt to tighten it around my waist. I wasn't too happy about wearing something so... bold in public, but it was prom. And probably tbe last time I'll see my friends if I keep fucking my life up.

Jacob's heart broken face has been plaguing my mind ever since that day, one month ago. But, as much as I've tried to forget about it, forget about him, nothing's worked.

The thought that I'd made the worst decision I possibly could have has been running through my mind like a damn hamster on a wheel. But, I had to do it. I needed to keep him away from me. I had to put myself first. And, I may be the most evil person in the world, but I'll gladly stop Jacob from getting even more hurt in the future, even if I meant I had to break both of our hearts.

My second option was leaving town. Packing all my stuff and running without telling anyone. But, I don't think I'd have the guts to do it.

A knock on the door pulls me away from my thoughts and I get up from the sofa to answer the door. Laura stands on the other side, a wide grin on her face. " Prom!" She squeals, a bag of makeup in her hand. Her dress was draped over her other arm and she let herself in, and I close the door behind her. Laura rushes up the stairs and I follow her up into my room. She neatly lays her dress on my bed before walking over to my closet. She opens it, walking in. Her eyes are instantly on my golden dress. "Woah!" She exclaims, her hands running over the silk material. "This is beautiful, Aria."

"Thanks." I say, leaning on the doorframe. Laura turns around, a smile on her face. She looks me up and down, and that smile is instantly transformed into a frown.

"You look like shit." She says, slowly approaching me. Her fingers are under my chin and she's tilting my face into the light. "The eyebags are... eyebagging." I swat her hand away and move to sit on the chair next to my desk. Laura places her makeup bag down, opening it to reveal all the funky colours and tubes.

"Work your magic." I mumble, leaning back and closing my eyes. Jacob's face flashes through my mind and I shake the nerves away.

"Um..." Laura says, applying a cream onto my face. "I don't know if you know, but I convinced Jacob to come to prom. I thought it'd be good for him, since..." Her words fade away. I'm going to see Jacob after a month of no contact.

I nod my head, clearing my throat. "I... I don't know if I should talk to him, or not." I say, and Laura moves my hair out of my face.

"I don't know what to tell you." She chuckles, and I feel the prickly edge of a brush on my cheek. "I think you both need closure. Jacob didn't tell me what you both said to each other that night, but the way it's affected you and him... you do need to talk to him."