Chapter 70 - Confession

"Jan," Ethan whispered, taking a step closer to his mate.

Without even disturbing his woolen coat, the vampire side-stepped his outstretched hand and walked away like nothing had happened. Frowning, Ethan followed him as he went to stand by Lorr.

"Louie," Cody's high-pitched voice called out. He ran to the French vampire with wide innocent eyes and a charming smile, a look that his older brother knew all too well. Cody was up to something.

"We are playing a game, and those bullies are cheating. Brent even said he's faster than you," the youngest Reyn explained when he reached Louie.

"I did not!" the accused Lycan refuted.

Cody went on. "I'll bet you can win this easily."

Louie perked up, a spark lighting up in his dark brown eyes. "Really? What's the prize?"

"Ay yo, this can't be fair," Brent whined.

"You didn't think about fair when you were shoving little kids earlier," taunted Breanna, stepping away from the center.

"For real, are you even my sister?"

She scoffed at him, and he tossed a dirty look at her before looking elsewhere for support. "Hey Eri, join me. You're the fastest among us."

The slimmer wolf walked over, and they stood together, heads bent, silently gesturing among themselves. Obviously, they were hatching some sort of game plan to take Cody and his new ace down through the pack channel. Ethan's little brother, on the other hand, had transformed into a professional coach, seriously going over the rules of the game and any previous tricks their enemies had used.

Louie listened to the rapid-fire information and nodded every other second. Then he slipped out of his coat to reveal a jazzy purple shirt over dark blue pants.

Damien high-fived his best friend, then eagerly stretched his hands to receive Louie's outer clothes. From the enthralled gaze he bestowed on the vampire and how he held the overcoat to his chest, one would have thought Louie was a deity, come to save them all from damnation.

The Lycan and vampire duo entered the arena, and everyone else not partaking in the game moved out. Emily dragged a barstool from the restaurant and climbed onto it. Breanna stood next to her.

Eri motioned his teammate forward, and Brent complied, inching closer to Louie. Having the same height as Ethan, he easily towered over the French vampire. Cody stood near him with a determined look on his face. He crouched low, ready to jump on Brent at the sound of the whistle.

The game was set.

Ethan shuffled closer to Jan, brushing his arm against him. But his mate may as well have been an iceberg from his reaction, or rather lack of it. The blond man stood rigidly with arms crossed in front of him and his skin, much paler than before. He stared straight ahead, ignoring the Lycan that hovered near him.

Is he angry with me?

Ethan wanted to grab his mate by the shoulders and demand why he was acting cold. But he also knew Jan's stubborn side and experience had taught him demanding anything would only make it worse. The best course is to let him cool down and then talk.

He sighed, resisting the urge to groan out in frustration.

Beside them, Lorr was still chatting with Dr. Kim, but their voices were hushed now. The rest of the adults in the room had their eyes set on the game.

With no one glancing at them, Ethan shifted slightly behind so that more of his body brushed his mate's. There was no change in expression on Jan's frosty face, but he did not move away either. His steady gaze was trained forward, directly on the petite girl who was balancing herself on a high chair.