Chapter 80 - Damsel In Distress

"And now," the MCs voice boomed over the air, "ladies and gentlemen, it's time for the most anticipated event of the night. The moment everyone has been talking about. For centuries, our alliance with Snow Pines has held true. And tonight, we renew that bond of brotherhood. Joining us in celebratory honor of his first outing, Ethan Reyn, son of Charles Reyn, former alpha of Snow Pines, will battle for the right to his mate. Challenging him are the beautiful ladies of St. Agnes."

The stadium erupted in cheers, but Jan cocked his head to the side. Brotherhood? Aren't they laying it on a bit thick? This was meant as a simple challenge, not some pact between representatives of the packs.

But this was not the moment to debate that.

On the other side of the field, Ethan walked onto the grass. Behind him were Levi and the team Ethan had trained with during the simulation hunt: Brent, Eri, the pimply-faced vanguard, and the two sisters.

They spread out to face the ladies who taunted and screamed at them with high-pitched voices. This was a marvelous rendition of a medieval Roman legion facing the barbarians, ignoring the glitter, make-up, and bright clothes.

Jan clenched his jaw, seeing the nubile gyrating bodies between him and Ethan.

"Good luck, Kitten. I'll be standing right there if you need me," Breanna said, pointing just behind the goal post.

Four girls in his honor guard spread out, forming a square around him. It extended from the end zone almost to the twenty-yard line. They strung red ribbons between them to mark the edges of Jan's new cage.

Becca slipped under the boundaries holding a couple of thin white plastic in her hands. As soon as Jan figured out what they were, his eyes narrowed.

He was not scared. After all, he could easily break out of those flimsy zip ties. The problem was no one had said anything about him being restricted.

"I'm sorry, Jan," the student body president apologized, jogging over to him. "Some parents were a little... worried. Jeb and Beta Johnson vouched for you, but folks pressured the school board. This was the only compromise we could come up with."

Jan wanted to laugh. A zip tie was no guarantee of safety from any vampire, but Becca's pleading eyes clamped his lips shut. He did not want to give her any more trouble than she had to deal with.

So without a word, Jan held out his hands, and she locked the restraints in place.

"You mustn't remove them until the challenge is over, ok?" Her blood-red lips flashed a smile that displayed pearly white teeth.

"I promise."

Finally, she turned and jogged out of his square.

Jan wove his fingers together, careful not to snap the fragile plastic around his wrists. Becca had not tied it tight, but it was still uncomfortable for the vampire who had not experienced any form of physical restraint in decades... unless for pleasure.

Ethan, you better sprint all the way here.

But moments later, Jan swallowed bitter bile of disappointment as he realized his prayers had been for naught. He clenched his fists, wanting to run across the field and smack the big oaf himself.

Ethan and his friends purposely allowed the St. Agnes minxes to overwhelm them.

As soon as the whistle blew, rather than strategically navigate his way through the females charging at him, Brent shamelessly jumped into the cluster of girls, welcoming them with open arms. Eri feigned tripping over the grass and looped his hands around the waists of two girls, dragging them to the floor with him.