10: Sharing with Rick! PT. 0.1

(IF ON RICKS ROUTE)

Silence filled the air as I stood in front of Rick, who was peering over my paper with that blank look in his eye—a neutral frown formed on his lips. I felt a bead of sweat form on my forehead. It was kinda hard to read what he was thinking when he seemed so calm all the time. Though after a while, his eyes seemed to only widen a bit.

"..impressive." Rick muttered.

"..eh?" I cock my head to the side. I mean, if he found it impressive that was a good thing—but I expected him to say a little more than that.

He then looks back at me, and lowers the paper that's held in his burly hands. "..sorry. I didn't know I spoke aloud."

"Oh—no, it's fine." I awkwardly reply. Rick slowly hands the paper back over to me, and I take it in my hands, listening closely for whatever he might say next.

"..have you written stuff like this before?" Rick bluntly asked, his expression still the same.

"Uhhh.. no, actually. This is my first time doin' something like this." I admit, scratching the back of my head.

"..oh." Rick pauses for a moment. And then, he speaks again with his voice slightly raised, though he doesn't lose the monotoneness he always communicates with. "Well.. usually people who write scripts try to make their style very deliberate instead of trying to match it with what the scene is about, and sometimes it doesn't fit together. But.. this isn't something you should be blamed for. I'm.. sure if you write some more, you'll do better."

He sounded weirdly like an expert when he spoke like this. I couldn't even find it in myself to respond as he continued to speak as if he were some kind of professional. He then added, "..I'm sure everyone will think your script is okay, so it should be fine. But Kevin can.."

He then trails off, and his eyes widen a little as if baffled about what he was about to say. He then glances away, and grumbles a little. "..sorry. I don't think I should talk about him behind his back like that."

"Oh.. it's.. fine." I reluctantly assure him. What did he stop himself from saying?

After a while, I awkwardly ask, "..is.. it alright if I read what you wrote now?"

"..yes." Rick said, slowly reaching out his arm so I could take the paper. I then reach out my other hand, and slowly pull it foward in my grasp. And once I do that, I begin to glance over the paper.

————

(IF ON KEVIN'S ROUTE)

Rick peered over my paper, clenching it in his hands. As I watched, I couldn't help but be a little unsure just what he was thinking. A minute had gone by and he was still staring, even squinting a little. His frown almost seemed to grow as his eyes darted across the page.

After a while, I hesitantly spoke. "..uh.. Rick?"

He then looked over at me, and he appeared to stop squinting. "..oh. Sorry. I forgot to start talking."

He then handed the paper over to me, and I took it, awkwardly smiling up at him. "..well, you don't need to talk if you don't want to."

"No. It's fine. I want to." Rick bluntly remarked, never seeming to blink. He then finally inquired, "..is this your first time writing something like this?"

"Is it that bad..?"

"..well.. no." Rick responded. He then glanced around as if trying to search aimlessly for the words he could use to describe how he felt about the paper, and then sighed.

"Well.. usually people who write scripts try to make their style very deliberate instead of trying to match it with what the scene is about, and sometimes it doesn't fit together. But.. this isn't something you should be blamed for. I'm.. sure if you write some more, you'll do better."