42: A Normal Day Like Any Other.

It's an ordinary morning like any other I've experienced in the small town of Sedonah, Arizona. Yawning to myself, I feel the crushing weight of loneliness drift over to me as I sit in the driver's seat of my car and grip the wheel. As I drove past, I could see several people with all sorts of differences chattering with eachother or going about their own business.

I sigh—for even now as an adult, I don't really seem to have any friends. Or that much friends. Hell—growing up, I didn't really actually have that much friends as a kid, so I was pretty boring compared to everyone else.

I always tell myself it's about time I just go to an event and see if I can make friends there, but something tells me no one would like me enough to even invite me to one or actually talk to me.

My eyes glance to the passengers seat next to me as I continue to drive. I feel an empty feeling in my chest. Geez.. loneliness really was starting to get to me after all.

Ignoring the odd feeling in my chest, I continued along the road. I needed to get to work, and I couldn't waste my time sulking when this was probably gonna be something I'd have to deal with for the rest of my life anyway.

————

My shift is nearly over before I know it. I find myself tiredly standing at the counter with an exhausted sigh, frowning as my thoughts linger to the loneliness that seemed to ironically be my only thing close to company. As I thought—I thought of how I could possibly make friends when I was so socially awkward and different from everyone else.

Maybe if I joined a group, or some random camp, or.. even some type of club.

I groaned. Joining a club felt strangely childish—like I was still in high-school and was finding some after-school activity or something. But despite how childish it was, I probably didn't really have any choice. If I wanted to make friends, I'd basically have to socialize.. even if I didn't want to.

"..uhhh.. hello..?"

I lift my head upward and seeeeeeª

I lift my head upward and see a tall figure standing before the counter. A man in fact—who looks to be around my age. Ah.. that was right. My shift was nearly over, but it hadn't completely ended. There were still a few people in the mall after all.

As I glance up to him in an attempt to apologize, I then blink.

"..wait.. Ethan..?"

My eyes lingered upon the man's face—finally realizing why he seemed so familiar. With a slim face and dark shadows beneath his eyes, black fluffy hair with streaks of red at the ends and tied up into a high-ponytail—a black spiked choker around his neck, a bright red T-shirt and some dark pants. It was Ethan—a guy I had known from high-school.

His eyes look down at me for a moment. I gulp—hoping I didn't seem like a total creep. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't remember me, but..

Ethan softly laughs. "..oh! Hey. Didn't think I'd see you here." He says calmly as he places his shopping bag on the counter.

"..I.. didn't think I'd see you either.. its been a while."

"..yeah, it has. Heh.."

I felt my cheeks warmly start to blush a little as I stared back at him. Ethan was basically the most popular guy in high-school. He was charismatic, funny, and had a lot of friends. And even though I didn't talk to him a lot, he always seemed like a pretty chill guy who you could count on for everything. Admittedly, I did have a bit of a crush on him, but.. that was beside the point.

Seeing him smile at me though, it was like I was suddenly in high-school again, and I shyly glanced away.

"Uhh.. so.. how's it been?" I finally manage to ask, pulling out the item I needed so I could scan what he bought