40: Radford's Confession.

"Radford.." I began, speaking with a pitiful frown still as he stared back at me. "..why'd you come over? I thought you didn't want—"

"I didn't." Radford replied quickly. "Believe me, I.. really didn't. But  my head was just being really.. I just couldn't stop thinking about what you said. So I came over. I was hoping the thoughts would stop since I thought deep down it wasn't true, but now.."

"..what—what are you talking about? I don't understand."

"How much fun you were having with.. with him." Radford sniffled—beads of tears beginning to form in his eyes. "You're along with everyone just like I thought you would. And now you're safe! You're safe.. just like I wanted.."

"Radford—"

He then let out a weak whimper, shaking his head and taking a step back from me. "No, no.. I'm happy that you're.. why—why does it feel this way?! You're safe like I wanted! Now that you like him, nothing bad is gonna happen to you! I shouldn't.." He sniffled. "..I shouldn't be feeling sad. It's true. Everything would all be better if I weren't here to ruin it.."

"Du—Dude, don't say that—"

"I shouldn't be feeling this way!" He practically screamed, pulling at his hair from both sides of his head. "You're happy now. You're fine now. And now I can do what Ethan told me to.."

"..Ethan..?" I muttered. "..what do you mean..?"

"I.. I can't.." He hesitated. "..I can't tell you."

I paused—my gaze lingering upon his whimpering form pitifully. I hadn't known he was feeling this way for the longest time, and now.. seeing him like this.. it felt like my heart was being torn in two.

After a while, I let out a sigh.

"Dude—like I said before, nothing bad is going to happen to me. Not to you, not to Kevin, not to Rick. Not to Ethan. Nothing bad is going to happen because of you."

"But.."

"Shh. I.. I don't know how long this has been going on for.." I set a hand on his shoulder as he continued to weep. "..but.. I want you to know that none of whatever you're dealing with is your fault. You don't make anything bad happen. In fact, it's pretty much the opposite. You've done so many great things for me, and I want you to know that."

He hesitantly took a step closer as he weeped, a small tear seeping down his cheek. "..I.. this is scaring me.."

"..what's scaring you?"

"The fact that I.. that I started to.. like.."

"..dude..?"

"I—dude.. I—I like you! A lot, okay?! So much that I wanna.. that I don't want you to.. so much that I wanna die so you don't get hurt! So you don't have to deal with everything that I—"

"He—Hey, that's enough.."

He then goes silent, and I let out a sigh, stepping closer. I press my forehead to his—and he gently weeps as I take his hand in mind.

"Radford, I've known you for a long time.. and.. I think I know what's best for you, so.." I look up at him. "..I'll give that to you right now."

OPTIONS:

"I LOVE YOU, RADFORD."

"YOU'LL ALWAYS BE MY BEST FRIEND."

————

OPTION 1:
"I LOVE YOU, RADFORD."

"..I love you, Radford."

"Wh—What?"