17: Continuing with Dark Movies!

RICK ROUTE PT. 0.3

"Uh.. hey, Rick?"

Rick peers up at me curiously, barely raising a brow. I stand before him, sheepishly scratching the back of my head. Letting the faint audio of whatever he was watching flow into my ears, I could tell he was watching something different compared to what we watched together last time.

Rick is still staring at me. I feel my face become warm, and I awkwardly give a lop-sided smile. "So—Sorry if I interrupted you or something. I was just wondering if.. you know.."

"..yes."

"Eh?"

"I've been waiting for you anyway." Rick blankly says, pausing whatever he was watching and slowly looking back up at me with a neutral frown.

"Oh.. well.. uh.. okay.." I stammer—trying to find whatever words I was supposed to say in this situation. "Well, I guess we can just get started then. With—With watching the.. with continuing the.. you—you know what I mean.."

Rick doesn't reply, but only sets his phone down on the floor before standing up. I gulp. Anytime he stands up, I immediately remember how tall he is. While glancing down at me, Rick then inquires in his usual monotone way of speaking, "I'd like to grab us some soda first.. if you don't mind."

"Uh—yeah, I don't mind. You can go ahead and do that if ya want." I shrug, trying to sound friendly enough. I still can never understand what he's actually thinking even though I've been here for a few days already. I guess that's just gonna make trying to impress him with my scripts even harder..

Rick takes a few steps foward, presumably walking to whatever he had put the sodas. But he slowly turns around to face me, merely frowning at me for a few seconds. "..you can come too, if you want."

I blink a little in surprise. It wouldn't take him that long to get the soda, would it? Even so, I can't really say no to the opportunity of being able to spend a little more time with Rick. After a few moments of thought, I reply shyly. "..uh.. alrighty then."

I resist the urge to facepalm myself for saying something so stupid. Alrighty then? No one ever said that when they were trying to be smooth. Even so, Rick seems unphased, and slowly turns back around. He begins to slowly walk over to a corner beside the table in the center of the room, and I follow behind him—being careful to not run into anything below us.

After walking for a few moments more, Rick bends down—shadows fading in and out of his face from the darkened atmosphere. His hand then grips a bag that was presumably beneath the table—I can see shapes of soda bottles inside from the translucent white color of it. Rick then pulls out a small bottle of Coca Cola, and reaches his hand out while gripping it. I only realize after a few seconds of watching him in slight admiration that he's handing it over to me.

"Oh.. uh.. heh.." I laugh awkwardly—before taking the bottle in my hand. Rick then turns back over to the bag once I take the bottle, and he grabs one—a fanta—for himself as well.

Once he grabs one, he turns back over to me and calmly asks—"..do you want to get some popcorn from the lobby? I think they still have some in there."

"Huh? Oh—yeah. I can.." I prepare to turn around, thinking he must have been asking me to do it myself. But I can't help but feel a presence behind me. I turn my head around—Rick appears to be trailing behind me, holding his bottle of soda with the same calm expression on his face. Did he want to go with me? Not that I had a problem with that or anything, I just didn't think he'd want to.

Rick's cheeks mildly darken a little, and he glances away. Before I can speak to him though, I hear Ethan's voice suddenly speak from a corner in the room—and I only now notice him standing with a curious arch of his brow and a hand on his hip.