Chapter 40

KUNSHI (Mehndi/Henna day)

This is one of the historical events in the Hausa cultural wedding which dates back to the origin of the hausa people, kunshi signifies the cleansing of the bride, henna mixed with some herbs, scents and flowers of plants are applied to her body covering most part of the body for just some minutes, which is later washed away with a mixture or flowers and perfume in water. This mixture smoothes the skin and making the bride look fresh and more attractive. Another mixture of henna is used to make beautifully decorated designs on the bride's hands, palms and legs. Henna design makes the bride not only astonishing but unique. The event is strictly for ladies, only.

👑👑👑

The beautiful bride sat majestically on one of the cushions sprawled on the floor, in the beautifully decorated tent. She was encompassed by her friends and family. The khurkum (turmeric) which they'd all applied on her hands and feet earlier was ready to be washed out. They helped her rinsed it off with a perfumed water as the camerawoman tried her possible best to make every moment into a standstill. Once they were done, Aunty sadiya picked up a golden pot only to pour rose water on the bride's silky hair. The exquisite scent flourished in the tent just like rose petals on summer afternoon.

The bride had decided to wear a brown lace because once Henna stains your clothes, it doesn't go off

The bride had decided to wear a brown lace because once Henna stains your clothes, it doesn't go off. They invited Hauwa, a very well known mehndi artist in the north, to be the one to do her henna design.

The bride's body was already scrubbed, waxed and incensed in the morning. So, all Hauwa has to do was to start designing the bride's hands, palms and feet.

"Lets get started" Hauwa chirped as the masu kidan kwarya started to beat on their calabashes while some girls and women went to the other henna designers, to design their hands.