chapter 26

Josephine and Josh were in her court in her house. Josh decided to sleep over since his parents were out for the whole weekend. They were also meant to be there for the opening of the resort but as usual they left it to him and josephine to settle.

Ting! Josephine heard her phone go and she asked for a break as Josh nodded taking a bottle of half water and emptying the content.

"Creep!" Was the message from Darlington.

"Hey or hi would have been fine but creep is ok too" she replied.

Ting!

"You were staring at me. That's wrong. You even said you were bored,  I thought you'd stay so we could talk a little but you watched me like a creep and left with a hand wave. Cold Josephine. Ice bar cold"

Josephine laughed a little "Darlington right?" Josh called looking over her shoulder.

"Yeah" she said almost breathlessly tapping on her screen. "I'm sorry darling. I didn't mean to. Things changed. You were busy and i- let me send a vn" was her test.

"Do you mind?" She asked a Josh who seemed relunctant to leave but raised his hand in surrender stepping out of the gym.

She took a deep breath then clicked the record button "I'd have called and all that but I'm not sure you'd feel comfortable with it and all that but the thing is, I really wanted us to talk and all but you seemed so busy. I'm sorry for creeping you out love. Do you forgive me or do I have to tease my way into your forgiveness?" She said into her phone. A few minutes later she got a reply.

Ting!

"Fine. I'd see you tomorrow at school"

Then she remembered

"Can I call? It'll be quick I promise!" She replied a little anxious.

Darlington looked at his phone.

Ting!

"You're home right? Just wait for me outside ok? Id be right there. Dont move. Please. Im begging you" was a message and Darlington's eyes widened a fraction. What escuse was he going to use? What did she want to tell him? He felt his heart beat quicken.

"Could you turn off the lights darl?" His father called and he quickly thought of something.

"S-sure. I'm just gonna t-take out the trash" he called and his father nodded.

"Ok kiddo don't wait for her out too late!" His father called out and Darlington stiffened, turning around to his father who was by the stairs.

"What? Think i dont know? How do you think I hung out with your mother back in the day?" His father asked running up stairs.

Darlington shakingly opened the door into the cold nights air. He hugged himself in the sweater Josephine had gifted him. He was used to wearing it to sleep, it was big and comfy and it had this minty scent that made him feel refreshed.

Josephine was driving her way to Darlington's street.

"Hey so would you like to- no that's not right." She shook her head.

"I'd like for you to- nope. Not right either." She sighed. Why was it so hard to just ask him to escort me to open that damned resort? I've asked a couple of guys and girls alike to countless dates. And this one boy. Just this one boy. She thought as she sighed again. Getting to his house, she parked by the opposite side of the street.

Coming out into the cold air she wrapped her scarf around her tighter and dipped her hand into the pockets of her trouser. She saw him wave her down and she took long strides towards him, breathing out puffs of smoke.