chapter 54

Darlington couldn't help but look worriedly at Josephine as they went back. She had spoken to him less and she seemed to be busy. Her eyes held tiredness and whenever she smiled at him it was half hearted. She seemed to be relying on Alycia more than before and Alycia gladly did what Josephine asked. Getting her lunch, taking down notes for her and more.

Darlington paced back and forth behind the stage. He felt sick. Being a runner up in the last competition meant automatic entrance into the next competition. August didn't seem to be taking it easy on him. He peeped behind the curtains to find only his parents. No Josephine freaking King in the crowd to cheer him on. His parents comforting smiles didn't seem to do the trick. His palms were sweaty as anxiety took over his whole body. He took out his phone to call her. But the line was busy.

*Meanwhile*

Josephine run up the stairs frantically to get her car keys. Forgetting her coat, the doctor had just called her and she had to get there.

"Be careful" Anabelle whispered to a rushing Josephine who got into the car. She realized that someone had just called her while she was on the phone with the doctor. She checked it as she drove. She called back. "W-where are you?" Darlington's voice came, meek and scared.

"I'd be there I promise." She shouldn't have. She hung up as she drove faster, pulling up into the huge hospitals car park. She rushed to the elevator. Going to the 6th flour. She searched, her hair was begining to grow out of control and we're forming small curls, her eyes tired and weary. "Doctor!" She called as she pushed through all the other people on white coats looking for Mr Evans.

"Josephine," the doctor said warmly as he saw her, motioning to them to go to his office, her breath was uneven and rough. She nodded and followed him. "Seat" the doctor said, his tone serious and eyes trying to be void of any emotions. Josephine gulped hard as she sat down.

"He won't make it" Josephine rested her hands on the table, rubbing her temples. She used her other hand to take the chain around her neck that spelt "king" and began nibbling at the diamond. "Doctor please tell me what's going on?" She asked in her best form of composure.

"Apparently your dad has been battling cancer of the heart for a while now. We did a heart transplant but that was roughly 6 years ago." Josephine felt her eyes tearing up. 6 years? What's up with the Kings and being silent about their pain. She blinked back the tears and nodded for him to continue. "It seems that this man has already exceeded his time with that heart that isn't even his. He said he would like to see you. One last time before anything. Would call you for further progress." Josephine nodded again unable to make any sentence without her blaming the doctor for not doing his job.

She followed him to her father's ward, walking in slowly, she dismissed the doctor as her father smiled weakly at her in his seating position. All those monitors, all those tubes, all those drips, the emergency botten. This wasn't her father. She composed herself as she sat beside him, she was angry at him for a lot of things. She hated him for a lot of reasons, but For the few reasons he had given her to love him, she cherished him. He offered her his hand and she took it, putting a light kiss on it then soothing it. "you're going to be ok" she spoke to the man with striking grey eyes. She smiled at her again. And she couldn't help it but let a tear slip out.

"I said you're going to be alright" she said, more to herself than to her dying father.

"It's ok Josephine" he said. His voice had a thick British accent and the deepness and how raspy it was. He put his hand on her cheek, wiping a fallen tear. "Your hair..." He trailed off.  She never let her hair grow past the back of her head but here, right now..... Her brunette hair that were identical to his were at her neck, in soft curls that reminded him of her mother. So much like her mother. She smiled. "I look like mum right?" She managed to choke.

He nodded at her with a smile. And began. "I want you to protect our dynasty. Our empire." She nodded at him as tears were in her eyes.

"Ms. Josephine? Times up" the warden said and she nodded at her father standing up, waiting put in the lobby as she paced back and forth. It was already dark, she peeped into her father's room to find him soundly asleep. "Doctor Evans please, do anything to save him. I'd pay as much as you need. I'd work hard. I promise!" She said like a little child.

"I'd do my best" the doctor said trying not to give her too much hope. Josephine walked out, lighting a cigar into the cold night. Her phone rang. It was Mrs Beatrice. "H-hello? Dear?" She spoke and Josephine gulped hard. She had totally forgotten about Darlington's competition. "Hey" he said in the calmest voice she could muster. "How was the competition?" She asked tiredly.

"Darl! Josephine is asking for you!" She heard her silk voice from the other side. Josephine felt a ghost of a smile play it's way to her lips. "I don't want to talk to her!" She heard, anger lacing his voice... Her smile turned into a sad one as she put her cigar into her lips... What did she expect? What was she expecting?

"Lyn darling could you take him up stairs?" She heard Mrs Beatrice say once again. "I'm so sorry dear. He lost at the first round and..." There was no response. "Hello?" Josephine hung up. She chuckled bitterly as she put her phone away, puffing out white Ash. Lyn? Ha! How pathetic!

Sighed, knowing Darlington won't talk to her. It was a good thing the next day was a Sunday. She could go to church... And pray as hard as she could.

Few hours ago.

Darlington couldn't take it. He was having a nervous break down. He had even burnt his food and was in the toilet. Tears running down his face as he emptied his stomach into the WC. He had a feeling that If she were here... This wouldn't have happened. She promised right? She promised didn't she? 

"Hey hey hey" he heard a voice say out of worry as she crouched down beside him. But he didn't want her. It was Lyn. She helped him hold his head back. He remembered when she had held his hair. "Jesus! Are you ok?" She asked as he finally heaved heavily and rested his back against the stall wall. He was really sweating.

"I feel sick" he said to her. Damn right about that. He looked pale. She handed him his glasses as he wiped his mouth with the back of hand. She urges him to get up but he pulled her down, it was the first time she had seen Darlington like this. "Why didn't she come?" He asked, more tears flowing down his eyes. Lyn couldn't help looking at him in pity. "Is there something wrong with me?" He sobbed and she pulled him into her warm embrace.

"Nothing's wrong with you Darlington. Nothing at all" Lyn said rubbing his back as he sobbed into her neck. He didn't stop crying as she let him sob it all out. When Darlington got home, he found a guest that made him smile.

"You've always been the cry baby, Darlington"