Chapter 1

The scent of new lavender and the warmth of the sun on my face awoke me. I gradually opened my eyes and peered up at the strange ceiling. I sat up and took a good look around. My body had an odd, foreign feeling to it. A big mirror was just next to my bed. I gently stood up and turned to face the strange figure in the mirror. She had long, soft-wavy black hair that reached to her waist; snow-white skin; hazel brown eyes with long, thick lashes; and pale red lips. She was dressed in a white nightgown. 

The definition of real beauty is the appearance of an angel descending from the heavens. How was it possible that the person in the mirror was reflecting me when I was certain that she wasn't me? I tried to remember everything.

The last thing I can recall is attending a conference in Jerusalem with the other pharmacologists and medical professionals. Then there was an earthquake, followed by total darkness. I realise I've passed away and gasp. 

"Is this life after death? But why do I appear this way? Where am I now?"

Something fell to the ground. As I turned around, I noticed a woman in a mediaeval costume behind me who was astounded to see me, as if she had seen a ghost.

"My lady, it's a miracle you are alive," as she gasps.

"'What?'" I replied.

"Let me call her Grace." She ran outside.

I was alone and perplexed by what was going on. When a group of people arrived, I sat carefully on the bed, gathering my thoughts. I hurriedly wrapped myself in my blankets, my eyes wide with confusion.

A lovely lady in her mid-50s with blond hair and elegantly dressed sat next to me. She looked at me and said, "My dear, are you all right?" She hugged me and whispered, "I thought we lost you." 

I gently pushed her and asked, "Who are you?" Where the Hell am I? "

Her expression was shocked as she looked around at her companions. "My stepdaughter, you don't remember? It's me, your stepmother," she said concernedly. 

"Stepmother?" I replied, "I'm not sure."

She stood up and looked at a tall man next to her who appeared to be much older than anyone else in the room. 

"What's going on with my stepdaughter?" she worriedly asked. "

"I'm not sure, your grace," the Oldman said, "but I believe it was the effect of the disease after the lady contracted dysentery and was on her deathbed last night."

What? Dysentery is an infection of the intestines that causes bloody or mucusy diarrhoea. What the hell is he attempting to do? He clearly has no idea what he is saying.  As I explained 

Everyone was shocked with my explanation "Will she be able to recover?" the lady asked the old man. "Yes, she will. She just needs rest and time to recover. I will examine her later. For now, let her rest."

The woman approached me and gently patted my head, introducing herself as my stepmother. "Go ahead and rest some more; I'll let Emma tend to you and bring you something to eat," she says anxiously as she prepares to leave with the old man and the other handmaid.

"No, I need to get out of here!" I exclaimed. "I don't know any of you, what kind of sick joke is this, and do you know who I am?"  I panicked as I stood up.

"My child, Philippa, I am your stepmother, you are sick and needed treatment, I know you are still not feeling well, but I am here to help, you need to calm down," she said as she held my hands.

"No!" I say, whisking my hand, "I am not your child. My name is Kate Mitchell, and I am the owner of Mitchell Pharmaceutical Company, a successful company throughout the United Kingdom, and I will sue you all for kidnapping, so let go of me." They were dumbfounded as I stormed out of the room, looking for a way out. Everything was pitch black, including the hallway, and only torches provided light.