Chapter 30

In the meantime, in the King's courtroom

Baldwin POV:

"Aren't you going to say anything? you're awfully quiet," I questioned William.

"nothing at all," the old man continued to work, but then groaned. "alright... your majesty, I am not in the position to pry into your private matters, but you need to be more discreet... I can't believe you two would do it in broad daylight... what are you even thinking?" William exclaimed.

"You are a King, and people will expect you to act like it..." he added.

I try not to laugh as I say, "I am sorry... I was..."

William prickled his forehead and replied, "Don't explain anything. I was just surprised, that's all.

"Yet... I wanted to apologise that you saw us that way...and If I was unable to contain myself..." I said.

"Oh, it doesn't matter," William added, "but I'm glad you're not denying yourself happiness."

I kept quiet as I watched him gently smile at me, wondering if I was allowed to be happy. It's the first time I've felt this way... I'm afraid that someone will take away these feelings from me...

"Greetings, your Majesty, may I have an audience with you?" Roger requested, plainly upset, as he strode in, surprising William and me.

"If you have anything to say to His Majesty, say it right now," William remarked.

"It's quite personal, your Eminence... I need to talk to his Majesty alone," Roger responds.

"But - " William said, but before he could complete, I interrupted, "William, please leave us... it appears that Ser Roger needs to speak with me about a serious matter," I added.

"As you wished, your Majesty," William said as he walked out of the courtroom, leaving us alone.

The atmosphere became strained as Roger inquired, "Why... why didn't you tell me that you married?"

"I apologised for not being able to send you a letter announcing my marriage... it happened too quickly," I says.

"I am your childhood friend... we practically grow up together like brothers... and yet I was completely unaware that my very close friend had married and he didn't even send a single bloody letter," Roger lamented.

"I know... and I apologise for not informing you...Philippa needs me and I..." I explained.

"Why her?" Roger asks.

"What do you mean? Why her?" I inquired as I rose to my feet.

"I just wanted to know... why her? There are so many ways you could help her... why marry her?" Roger questioned.

"My decision to marry her is based on mutual trust in each other," I explained.

"Trust? you trust her... . you've only known her for a few months, you barely knew her and yet you decided to marry her... you do know her family is a threat to your throne, don't you? what if this is a conspiracy? you know that Bohemond is waiting for every opportunity to over throw you "

" she isn't like that... and you know that..." I murmured. "You don't know her..."

"Alright.. Then let me ask you...what do you know about her?" Roger inquires.

I stayed silent as I locked my gaze on Roger. "Nothing... am I right?... you know nothing about her and yet you trusted her just like that," Roger said. "You're blinded by your judgement to people who aren't repulsed by your illness," Roger exclaimed. "