Chapter 10

As my stepparents were led outside by Royal knights, I looked at them. "My Lady, now that the Trial is over, is there anything else you want to discuss?" King Baldwin inquired. "I understand that today was difficult for you because Lord Chatillon was your only family member here; we will bring you to Antioch to your brother Prince Bohemond because your stepmother is being held prisoner until your stepfather returns; if you prefer, we could prepare a carriage for you and accompany you back to Antioch."

"The thing is," I told the king, "I don't intend to return to my brother in Antioch."

The King gave me a glance. I promptly responded, "I would like to stay here in Jerusalem and be with you."

"P-pardon?" the King stuttered, dumbfounded.

I felt blood rush to my cheek from embarrassment, I realised I might have given the king the wrong impression. "It's not what you think; I- I just like to serve his Grace, and since I have no other family here except...," I explain to King Baldwin, looking at William of Tyre. "My Godfather, I would like to propose Lord William of Tyre as my legal guardian, as he is a very close family friend and should be able to care for me in my family's absence," I continued.

"My- my King, the child is certainly my godchild, and I am concerned for her well-being," he stuttered as he looked at me. "W-we could send her to an abbey that can surely watch over her," he added.

"I am no longer a child, uncle... I am capable of caring for myself, and I thought you would be able to look after me as my godfather, to think that I was wrong, and you also wanted to send me away," I pondered. "What would my poor deceased father say, his only friend couldn't help her precious daughter?" I pouted as I tried to guilt trip him.

"Please... don't do that... you know that I am a clergyman and I am not capable caring for a girl and..." as he tried to explain but I still looked at him with puppy eyes, he sighed, "you are truly your father's daughter," he said, "alright, I will do it, but you will have to stay with a female governess in the palace," William added.

"Thank you, uncle," I said with a smile.

As I turned to face his highness, I remarked, "Your Highness, I really have one more thing to talk with you," as I stared at him.

"Please go ahead and tell me," King Baldwin replied.

I took a deep breath and clasped my hands as I stared at him. "I'd like to make three requests of you, my King; please hear me out," I said.

"Well, since I was planning to compensate you for what happened today," King Baldwin replied, "please continue."

"My first request is that you accept me as a member of your royal court," I said.

King Baldwin was taken aback since he was unable to respond as quickly as possible.

My godfather was also in disbelief of what I've just requested " are you sure my child on what you've just requested just now? I just wanted you to know that there is no woman that was ever part of the royal court" William explained

"Yes, I understand that women have no significance in this time and are constantly looked down upon by men; we are simply a flock that produces offspring for you man; it is not just a simple request; it is a demand in exchange for something that our King will require," I explained.

"Then tell me why you want to be a part of my royal court and what you have to offer in exchange," King Baldwin inquires, intrigued.

"To put it simply, I want to be independent, and being a member of your royal court will allow me to do so; this is also for your benefit, my King, because what I am about to give you is a remedy that will prevent further harm from your leprosy," I explained.