Chapter 8

"Please allow me to look at you... and how you've grown," he said, smiling and taking my hands in his.

"Who are you?" I asked

"Oh.. that's right, I've heard you lost your memory as a result of shock," he said, concerned.

"Yes, my lord, unfortunately I have lost my memory and am having difficulty recalling," I said as I gently removed my hand from his.

"I see... well, let me introduce myself, my name is William, the archbishop of Tyre and the king's councillor and vizier."

"Oh, greetings, my lord," I say as I lower my head, "to what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?" I thought to myself as I panickedly lower my head, I can't believe a great chronicler, William of Tyre, is in front of me.

"Oh, don't be nervous my child, I was just checking in to see how my godchild was doing," he says as he smiles at me.

"Godchild?" my eyes widened as I looked at him.

"You don't remember having a famous godfather, do you?" he joked.

His remark made me smile.

"Your father, Raymond of Poitiers, is a very close friend of mine; I was there when you were born, and he appointed me as your godfather; however, that was the last time I saw your father..." he says, his voice saddened.

"Looked at you, you got your father's good looks and charm, but you have your mother's beautiful eyes," William said as he smiled at me.

"Thank you," I replied.

"How are you my child? the last time we spoke was when I visited you from St. Lazarus convent before returning to Jerusalem, I received news that you fell ill and was escorted back to Kerak castle to your stepparents, I was unable to visit you then due to war," he explained.

"I'm fine, thank you, but you've probably heard that I'll be on trial summoned by the high court for embarassing an esteem count." I said.

"I heard that, that's low even for him... as far as I can tell, he can't handle losing to a woman, and now he's seeking sympathy from other noble families who think like him... pathetic," William sneered.

"Well, it's just how it goes, I'll attend the trial like a criminal and be judged like one, I just wanted to know what punishment I can expect my lord?" I asked.

He smiled at me and said, "Call me uncle, just like you always did."

"OK, uncle," I said nervously.

"OK.." It was the first time he heard such a word as he looked at Philippa, but he never asked what it meant because he was more concerned about her godchild's well-being. "Anyway, my dear, the Count charges you with perjury for breaking an oath and sedition for conduct inciting women to rebel against men in power."

"Then what punishment awaits me, uncle?" I asked.

"If you are found guilty, your land and title will be taken away," William responded. "and worst of all, exile"

"I see, my brother, Bohemond, had arranged this for the promise that the count will provide infantry for his next campaigne in exchange for my hand in marriage," I said as I walked over to the window and felt a cold breeze blow through.

"I'm not sure what Prince
Bohemond has in mind, but Count Tripoli will receive the land left to you by your father in Poitier as compensation, and you may be forced to live as a monastic if he wins this trial," William explained.

That land and title were all Philippa ever had, and it will be taken away from her by those pigs soon. I can't let them hurt her now that I'm Her. I will not be treated the same way they treated her. I can't help but think her brother despised her for some reason. or not... Political marriages are common in the mediaeval era, so it was heartbreaking to think that your blood would marry you off for power. As I looked out my window, I thought to myself

" I can't let them win," I said as I faced William.

"I'll see what I can do to help you; even though Count Tripoli is a difficult opponent to beat, we can still do something," William said.

"Count Philip Tripoli has a bad reputation among nobles due to bad gambling habits, and most of his lands have been forced to be sold due to these habits of his, and he is not popular with women since, he married three times already and was divorced twice, but the last one died due to child birth, and there was a rumour that is circulating at the noble houses that he is already poor and leeching off wealth of his nephew Prince Raymond of Tripoli," William said.

"We can definitely use that, but I'm concerned about what my stepparents will do... you know, they're on the count's side."

"Yes, I am aware, but your stepfather is an impatient man, and I may be able to do something about that," William reassured Philippa. "You must be exhausted by now, my child; I will leave you alone so you can rest," William said.

I accompanied him to the door, and before he said goodbye, William said, "Your trial will be the next day after, and I will be there to support you, and I will promise that I will look for a way to help you."

"Thank you so much," I said as I bowed my head to say good-by to William. "Godfather... Interesting," I muttered as I watched William leave the room.

In the meanwhile

William of Tyre pays Lady Philippa a visit earlier that afternoon. When a man riding a galloping horse and wearing black plated armour entered the royal stables, the castle knights and stableman greeted him.

"Lord Roger, how's the conquest in the east going?" John, a nine-year-old ginger-haired squire with pale blue eyes, asked as he excitedly greeted the young knight

Lady Philippa was looking out her window while speaking with William Of Tyre at the same time.

"Nothing special, lad," Roger said as he climbed down his horse, enthralled by the woman he saw through a window above. "Who is that fair maiden?" he asked.

"Oh, she's Lady Philippa of House Antioch, and she's quite lovely, isn't she?" said John.

"Yes... the most beautiful maiden I've ever laid my eyes on..." he smiled enchantedly as he looked at Lady Philippa, their eyes met and he smiled and waved to the lady, but Lady Philippa turned her back from the window and gave him a cold shoulder. Instead of being disappointed, he chuckled as he scratched his head.

"You probably shouldn't do that, my lord," John says, shaking his head.

"Why? I think we're a good match," Roger said as he tied his horse.

"She's not like the other ladies I've seen; she was supposed to marry Count Tripoli after winning the archery tournament, but she humiliated him by defeating him; you should have come home earlier, you couldn't see how easily she defeated all the knights, she was breath taking," John exclaimed, "but now she'll face trial," John added.

"trial on what grounds?" Roger questioned.

"I'm not sure... I just heard maidservants discussing it earlier," John replied.

"Really... she defeated Count Tripoli? one of our talented archers and Lord Commander, who even I couldn't surpass?" Roger chuckles.

"Yes... she not only defeated Count Tripoli, but she easily defeated other contenders too" John explained.

"I've never believed such beauty as her is capable of doing such," Roger exclaimed, "I certainly wanted to get to know her well." as he amusedly smiles