Chapter 16

After Emma helped me clean up, I went straight to my work area, excited to try out the DIY water filter system that I learned in high school, and Abu was equally excited.

We built the first water filter system in the mediaeval era, and after filtering the water, I instruct Abu to get the filtered water and boil it. We finished two drums of filtered cured water.

"I believe we require a larger filtering glass jar for large amounts of water," I stated.

"Well, we should talk to the glass maker and see if they can build us a huge water filter," Abu suggested.

"Well, I doubt the glass maker can't make a large glass water filter, but before we ask for one, we need to make sure the water is safe to drink," I explained.

"Well, we have Sara to put that to the test," Abu joked.

"Abu, we can't do that to her because she's still a child and weak; we need someone bigger and healthier," I said as I looked at him.

Abu's round eyes widened as he realised what I was saying to him. "n-no! my lady.. I can't.. I have a sensitive stomach and I easily get stomach upset," he said.

"Well, we really need someone to put it through its paces."

"Why don't you?" he asked.

"I am a fragile lady," I stated flatly.

As Abu looked outside, I opened my work window to look for a possible prospect. "What about that men?" Abu asks, pointing out a large, chubby knight who is currently practising swordplay.

"I'm not sure... he appears unhealthy," I said.

"How about that guy," said a tall but skinny man tending to a horse.

"He's too skinny," I commented.

As I noticed Sir Roger, I said, "How about that guy?" as he waved and smiled at me. "that guy? I don't know? he looks fine and handsome," he replied. "Do you know him?" he inquired.

"Yes.. that is Sir Roger, he wanted to be a friend, and I think this is a great opportunity to test our water, and he will gladly be our guinea pig," I smirked.

"You really scare me sometimes.. do you know that?" said Abu.

As I walked away from the window, I said, "Let's get back to work."

After successfully filtering the remainder of the water barrel, I went in search of Sir Roger, carrying a water chalice with me. I looked around the castle grounds, and someone mentioned that he was with the knights practising sword play.

I saw him with a knight doing sword play; he was only wearing a white chemise, and you could tell he had a well-built macular body because there were many cheering ladies watching him play. I waved my hand at him after his match and he brightly smiled and approached me.

"milady, nice to meet you here!" he says as he reaches for my hand to kiss.

"I'm still not used to it," I murmured. "May I inquire as to the reason for thy visit?" he asked.

"Well, I came here to tell you that I will accept your invitation to become acquainted."

"Really...? I am overjoyed," he replied.

"In fact, as a token of our friendship, I brought you some fresh water."

"fresh water? but, milady, as much as I would like to accept your generous offer, the water in this area is unsafe to drink," he explained.

"I know... but don't worry, because this water has been filtered and cured."

"How?" he inquires.

"I simply filtered the water with chlorine and boiled it," I respond quickly.

"Well... I'm not sure... If I... " he said hesitantly.

"Well...it appears that you don't trust me yet... " I said, looking at the silver chalice, "and I thought I already have a friend that I can rely on in this place, but who am I? " as I turned around, "I will find another person who can be my friend, goodbye sir knight," I said, turning around. As I began to walk away, Roger said, "Wait... milady."

"Yes?" I ask, quietly smiling.

"I apologise if I offended you...it was not my intention, but I trust you and I really wanted to get to know you better," he explained. I watched as he took the chalice of water in my hand and drank it in front of me.

"You...you really drink it," I commented.

"Yes, it's a gift, and that's how I trusted you, and I really wanted to be friends with you."

"Thank you, Sir Roger.. how is the water?" I inquired. "It's surprisingly sweet," he said.

"oh... that's good to hear... I'll be back, I need to get back to work," I said as I walked away,

"and by the way, if you have stomach upset or any health issues, please come by my work room," I said as I turned around to him.

"With illness or no illness, I can still visit you?" he inquired.

"yes.. I don't see any problem with that.. cheerio," I said as I bid him farewell.

Meanwhile, King Baldwin is in his bedroom chamber with members of his royal court.

Aimery POV:

I stood beside him as he cleaned himself and changed his blood-stained robe, and as Bishop Henry waited for his majesty.

"You know that killing Saladin's messenger will start another war," Bishop Henry said as he walked back and forth.

His Majesty heard him, but he never responded to his eminence's question. "With all due respect, your Majesty, you are condemning our people for your foolish action," he said, raising his voice.

"Foolish action, is it?" King Baldwin asks coldly, glaring at him.

He appeared terrified, his eyes filled with terror. "I am still the pope's aid and the Lord messenger! don't you dare forget that! you may be the king but God and the Pope is above us all!" he exclaimed, letting out a heavy sigh" I need your confession for thy sin," he said.

"I shall confess to God when I see him, not to you," King Baldwin responds coldly.

His eminence stormed outside in rage and was greeted by Abu, lady Philippa's male servant, but was ignored.

"y-your majesty?" he said with a squeaky voice as he bowed down. I approached him immediately because his Majesty is in a foul mood and it is best that I tend to him instead.

"My good servant, his majesty wishes to see no one at the moment; if you wish, you may visit him later; if it is something very urgent, I can relay the message to his highness," I explained.

"oh... I see, so I came in at the wrong time, I have a letter from Lady Philippa to give to His Majesty," he said loudly enough to be heard.

"Oh.. I'll take care of that," I said as I reached for the letter, but King Baldwin snatched it from Abu's grasp, much to our surprise.

He silently opened the letter and read it, his grim expression changing to a bright smile. "Aimery, please get me a quill and a piece of paper," he said.

"Yes, sire," I say as I place his quill and paper on his desk.

"Here.. please deliver my reply to lady Philippa," his highness wrote and handed it to Abu personally.

"Yes, your Majesty," Abu said, bowing his head as he walked out the door.

I never imagined our king, who was furious earlier today's event but was calmed down by a letter from a lady; I wonder what kind of influence the lady has on his majesty.