Chapter 19

As soon as the sun rises, Emma, Lady Philippa's handmaid, begins her day by preparing her lady's clean water to wash her face and dress for the day, as well as a hot cup of tea and bread. As soon as she opened Lady Philippa's bedroom door, she cheerfully greeted the sleeping lady, "it is such a wonderful day my lady, I think we should..." as she opened the bed curtain, she was stunned and blushed to see King Baldwin sleeping in the bed and Lady Philippa sleeping at his arms.

"oh...Good lord..." she mumbled as she took a step back and slowly closed the door.

William of Tyre had just arrived in Jerusalem at the same time and day, bearing bad news for Lady Philippa and King Baldwin. After dismounting his horse and being greeted by Aimery, he entered the castle, followed by Aimery, and went straight to Lady Philippa's bedroom chamber. As soon as he walked in, he noticed Emma, who was tense and flushed, walking back and forth in the corridors.

"Emma," he said with a frown.

"My lord," she quickly bows.

"Does Lady Philippa happen to be awake?" he inquired.

"Well.. t-the lady is.. " she starts stuttering

"What? I need to speak with her immediately," he said.

"Well, my lord, she is with..." she stutters again.

Never mind, I see her myself," he says as he gently pushes Emma out of the way and proceed to the lady's bedroom.

"My lord... waittt..." Emma said as she hurriedly followed William.

Philippa POV

I opened my eyes as soon as the sun touched my face, my head still ached from crying, it was an unpleasant feeling, as I toss around my bed, I was surprised to see Baldwin sleeping beside me, I gasped as soon as I saw him beside me that I couldn't move. 

"Oh my gosh! What is he doing here?!" I exclaimed softly.

 He was about to open his eyes when I heard him moan and move. I pretended to sleep again by closing my eyes.

Baldwin POV:

When Lady Philippa began to move and toss, I opened my eyes and woke up. I decided not to wake her up because she was still sleeping soundly. I didn't realise I'd fallen asleep while trying to help her sleep.

I carefully removed my hand from her head and lean on her to gently place a pillow under her head; she was truly like an angel, I thought to myself as I looked at her sleep, caressing her soft pink cheeks, but my fingers ran to her soft lips.

What exactly am I doing... I can't touch her because I'm a leper... I thought to myself, and then her brows twitched, indicating she is awake; she is truly adorable, and her facial expressions really amuse me; she is unlike any other lady; she is truly unpredictable, as I smile and watch her pretending to sleep.

"I know you're awake, my lady," I say softly in her ears as I lean in close.

She opened her eyes, sat up, and covered herself with a blanket... "g-good morning, your highness," she said.

"Did you sleep well?" I inquired.

"Y-yes," she replied shyly.

"That's great to hear," I say.

"h-how? I mean, what happened?" she inquired.

"Do you not remember?" I inquired.

"Well... umm... it was a blur," she admitted.

"You were having a nightmare," I explain, "and luckily I was on my way back to my chamber when I heard you."

Philippa POV: