chapter 5

"daiyu."

"dai, wake up."

"..."

"ZHAO DAIYU GET THE FUCK UP BEFORE I PLANT A FUCKING TREE INSIDE YOUR STOMACH AND MAKE HYE WATER IT SO YOU GET BURRIED IN THE SCHOOL GARDEN LIKE THAT DWARF FROM OUR HISTORY BOOK!"

daiyu quickly got up and ran into the bathroom, locking the door behind her.

"yua, what the hell! you said you'd stop with the threats."

the earth shifter sat back down on her bed, laughing at the reaction she got from her friend. it was exactly what she had expected.

"yeah, well, that was before you decided to sleep until ten minutes before class starts."

a gasp was heard form inside the bathroom.

"bitch, why didn't you tell me sooner?!"

"what do you think have i been trying to do for the past twenty minutes? not my problem that you temporarly die whenever you fall asleep."

the door finally opened, and daiyu rushed to her closet to grab her uniform.

"i guess that means no breakfast for me, right?"

yua nodded. "probably, and i'm leaving now, so good luck with getting to class in time!"

and with that, she was out the door.

"ugh, that girl." daiyu shook her head in disappointment, putting on the skirt of her uniform at the same time.

she ended up giving up on getting to class in time, accepting the fact that it was simply impossible.

'great' she thought. 'three weeks into the school year and i already managed to be late to class more than i have been on time, and not to mention i got accused of theft.'

daiyu came to a halt in front of the door to her classroom.

she took a deep breath before opening the door, ready for the scolding she was about to recieve.

but to her luck, the english teacher wasn't even there yet.

daiyu let out a breath she didn't even knew that she was holding and walked over to her shared desk with hyewon.

"got lucky this time, huh?"

instead of an answer, hyewon received a painful flick to the forehead.

as soon as daiyu had settled down in her seat, she turned to her friend, her usual mischievous expression on her face.

"so hyewon, did you talk to zhong chenle after that incident yesterday?"

hyewon lowered her head, blood rushing to her cheeks. "i didn't... but i probably should, right?"

daiyu's grin widened. "you definitely should. though i feel kinda bad for you, he's a jerk."

"he's not that bad."

"you're friends with him?" now this was news for the chinese girl.

why did she never tell me about him?

"i mean, i'm not sure if you can consider us friends, but we've talked a few times." hyewon shrugged. "he's really nice, actually."

right at that moment, the professor came in, interrupting the girl's conversation. before turning in her seat to face the teacher, daiyu couldn't help mutteirng something under breath.
"of course he's gonna be nice to you if he likes you."

but she didn't get any reaction from hyewon, so she just assumed she didn't hear.

____________________________

if the devil was a subject, it would be chemistry.

okay, maybe history too, but chemistry.

daiyu hated that subject with a burning passion. nothing about the formulas made sense to her, hell, she probably wouldn't even be able to tell you what an atom or molecule was.

for her, elements were what she shifted, and the only thing she'd call periodic was the blood that came out of her hoo-ha every few weeks.

that said, there was nothing she despised more than wednesday afternoon, which was when she had to endure two whole hours of the subject whose name shall not be said out loud.

daiyu would always end up doing something else, like folding paper cranes with pages she ripped out of the textbook, and letting her partner or — if they weren't doing any group or pair tasks — seon-ok do all the work.

to her luck, seon-ok enjoyed chemistry, while also being good at.
so why not take advantage of that and have her do the hard part?

it wasn't like seon-ok and jieun didn't always copy her notes for english.

so it was a win-win situation.

for the first hour daiyu managed to somewhat focus, paying attention to what the professor was saying and asking her friends whenever she didn't understand something.

in the second lesson however, she started to get bored of the talk about chemicals and reactions. those were, in fact, the only words she had picked up from what the teacher was saying.

kinda sad though — that was middle (if not elementary) school stuff.

daiyu's attention started to drift away from the lesson, as she started to look around the classroom, seeing quite a few familiar faces, and some she didn't know.

what she only happened to notice now, was that the devil (not chemistry, the other one) was in her chem class.

her jaw flew open.

how come he is suddenly everywhere i go? was he always there and i just didn't notice?

daiyu averted her gaze, and tried to focus on the lesson.

and luckily she did, or else she would have completely missed the fact that the teacher had announced a fantastic (horrific) group project.

more like a partner project, actually.

"...over the span of the next few months, you and your partner will be researching on a chemistry related topic of choice, it can be as simple as you want, but you will have to be able to explain it by comparing it to or just portraying it with the help of a real life situation, or a sport, or a feeling— basically whatever you want."

oh i can already tell that this will be awful.

"and obviously, you will not be choosing your partners. i made the pairs with the help of your marks— the... weaker students will be paired up with a very good student, and those of you who are on an intermediate level will just work with someone with around the same grades."

as expected, loud, irritated groans could be heard from everyone in the room; including daiyu.

the project was bad enough as it was, and now she would probably have to work with someone she didn't know?

but oh boy— it came out even worse than that.

in fact, looking back, daiyu would be glad to work with someone she didn't know.

—————————————————————————

felt like updating twice today :)