chapter 53

when daiyu arrived at her dorm after having walked away from seonwoo, she had fully been expecting to find yua there.

maybe she was watching tv, or knitting, but daiyu had counted with her being there, ready to console her crying self.

but life didn't feel like doing things her way that day, so the chinese girl came home to an empty room, and nothing but pillows and a comforter on yua's bed.

daiyu sobbed a little louder at that.

of course yua didn't have any obligation to be there everytime she cried, and it wasn't like she could sense it from afar, so she didn't even have someone to blame.

daiyu felt miserable, to say the least.

nothing was working out for her recently, but then it seemed like she had finally made a cool, new friend.

only to have him act like a totall asshole regarding her feelings a couple of weeks into the friendship.

'that sure as hell isn't a way to comfort someone.'

just how emotionally retarded must that boy be to think that his words would do any good to daiyu?

did he think that she'd feel better with him telling her how bad of a friend chenle was, when everything that daiyu wanted was to talk to the chinese boy again. to have him call her late in the evening again, even at 2 am if he felt like it.

she wanted to sit on the floor of her dorm again, get high on energy drinks with him and not get any work done.

she wanted to go grocery shopping again, and have him get mad about her food choices, because it made her feel like he actually cared for her.

she wanted to be able to run to his dorm if she had nowhere to go, and play mariokart until the break of dawn.

to think that all of that had actually happened... it felt like a fever dream now.

chenle seemed so out of reach, and none of her efforts were to fix that.

daiyu was sitting on her bed, head buried in her hand and the mascara she had applied that morning probably was completely smudged by now, when the door to her dorm finally opened.

a small gasp was heard, followed by the door being closed and a heavy object dropping to the floor.

before she even registered what was happening, daiyu had been engulfed in yua's slender arms.

her face was hiding in the crook of the younger girl's neck, who had one hand on the back of daiyu's head, stroking her hair in a calming manner, and the other one around her torso.

"shhhh.... it's alright. i'm here, okay? ...just let it all out..."

with the help of yua's whispered affirmations, daiyu's sobs eventually died down, and yua let go of her to sit at a further distance and give her some space.

"you're doing great, daiyu. are you ready to talk now?"

daiyu gave a nod.

luckily only yua was there, because she probably looked like the biggest mess at the moment.

"i- i really only wanted to spend some time by myself after classes... in the garden."

the japanese girl kept quiet, not wanting to stress or pressure her friend.

"i was just sitting on a bench there and seonwoo got there too. he said he'd been searching for me."

'that fucker-'

had the boy been present, he would've been long dead — strangled by yua.

"i wasn't in the mood to talk, but he sure seemed to be. he started talking about chenle. about how much of a bad person he is, and how he is so much better."

"i know chenle's innocent, yua. seonwoo doesn't even know him, why would he say things like that?"

obviously, daiyu wasn't expecting an answer, as she just kept going.

"he told me that i should drop him. that he might ruin my reputation. and do you know what's even worse? chenle warned me about him."

"chenle told me multiple times that he suspected seonwoo to be a shady guy, and that for my own good, i should stop hanging around him too much. i didn't believe him, and it was the main reason we fought in the first place."

yua took one of daiyu's hands in her own, gently rubbing her thumb over the back of it.

"have you told chenle that you believe him now? because it's obvious that he just wanted to protect you, you should let him know now."

the chinese girl pouted.

"i thought i made that pretty clear when running after him once i heard he was in the office."

"right. what even happened back there that day?"

she had never actually gotten to tell the younger one about that.

"not much. he walked out of the office, i tried hugging him and told him i'd been worried. he brushed me off an told me to mind my own business."

yua frowned. judging by what park had told her earlier that day, one would've thought that the boy had learned something from his past mistakes, but it didn't sound like it now.

"that's... that's unfortunate."

her way of wording it made daiyu crack a smile.

"that's one way to put it."

the younger girl hummed and stood up from her bed. she picked up the bag that she had dropped to the ground when entering the dorm and placed it next to her bedside table.

"that's right; what were you up to this afternoon?"

'oh, she's so not gonna take me seriously.'

"well, believe it or not, zhao daiyu, i was studying at the library. it ended up as a non-pleasant experience though, as i ran into park jisung, that dick."

"whaa, that's another thing i wanted to ask you about!"

yua almost sighed. 'she isn't all that blind afterall.'

for the mysterious effect, daiyu lowered her voice to a whisper.

"is he... your ex or something? because those stares the other day at lunch, mamma mia!"

daiyu fanned her face with her hand, a bombastic grin on her face.

though she was glad that daizu seemed to have cheered up, her friend wasn't all that happy with the comment, as she let out a loud groan.

"daiyu, no. i've known him for a long time, and he's always been the bastard he is today. i wouldn't date him. worry about your own love-life, maybe. because you can't tell me that you don't have any feelings for thong chenle."

the smile on the older girl's face dropped, and it was now her turn to groan.

"yeah sure. no, i really just see him as a friend, while he doesn't even see me as that. i'm probably just some girl who 'stole his wallet' and he then had to do a chemistry project with. besides, i'm sure he still likes hyewon."

the look on yua's face at hearing that last sentence was out of this world.

'did i just say she isn't blind? well, i'm taking that back.'

"daiyu... hye might hate me for this, but i feel like it's about time i tell you something."

"... hyewon and seongchul are dating."

__________________________________

poor daiyiu

but there's actually 1k reads now wtf :o