Be careful with social media.

I think we all know what social media entails. It basically refers to any platform where you can get news and updates about any sector of the world. It could be celebrity updates, news updates, anything at all. That's your classic textbook definition. Now, let's look a little closer and talk about the concept of social media.

It's a wild place. Forget about all that stuff about it being fun and educative, we'll get to that later. It can be a lot. Sometimes, people use it to promote their bad agendas, it can be a place where the monster which is comparison is fed, and through social media you can discover things that you were actually better off being oblivious too. It's like of a world of its own that exists in the palm of our hands. It can really be a lot.

But socially media isn't always overwhelming, it can be helpful if you know how to use it. The bible said something about wisdom that I'd like you to look at;

Proverbs 1:7. The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction. (NKJV)

As long as you fear God, and keep him in mind, you can't go wrong. You can enjoy social media and the internet without getting pulled into all the dark parts. Before you play that new song, like that new post, or subscribe to that new channel, ask yourself, would God be happy with this? Would I be able to do this if Jesus was standing right in front of me.

There's nothing wrong with following secular channels, you just have to pay attention to the content they produce. Is it really helping you? Is it doing more harm than good? Is it something you have to hide from everyone else, something that makes you feel shameful? Is it helping you grow as a person.

Sometimes, when I need study tips and guides, I subscribe to certain channels. Or when I just want to listen to people talk about content creation or life in general, I look for people who focus on that. I try to keep in mind that if I'm consuming something, it needs to beneficial for my physical, intellectual and spiritual help.

It's also important not to let anything get in the way of you loving Jesus. Certain secular music has good meaning and lyrics, but don't listen to them so much that you forget to spend time worshipping Jesus. Watching Netflix movies is an okay way to relax, but don't watch so many movies and forget about your prayer time.

If you're having trouble with managing your schedules, or you're getting carried away by social media, you can always pray to Jesus. You can tell him your exact problem, ask him for help and make an effort to distance yourself from the apps that distract you. You could go on a weekly dopamine fast, just to spend some time with God by avoiding social media for the day. And also, to make sure that you aren't too attached to your phone, lol.

The bible also says;

Ephesians 5:6–10. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore, do not become partners with them; for at one time, you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true) and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord. (NKJV)

Don't just follow every trend or take every piece of advice that you see. Pray every day for God to speak to you so that you'll know if you're being led astray. I think another thing we need to remember is how easy it can be to let what we see on social media make us feel bad about ourselves. We want the perfect bodies and perfect lives we see on our phone screens. Well, if there's one thing I've learnt from my favourite influencer, it's that there's always a "behind the scenes" for every single person. They're human like you and I, and they also have low points, they just don't want everyone out there to be aware of their private lives.

And if like me, you've struggled with body issues, I have two bible verses for you.

I will praise You, for [a]I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well. (NKJV)

Don't just glance through that verse, dwell on it. You need to remember that regardless of what anyone says, you were made by the creator of the universe. God, our father, the master scientist and artists, looked at the world and decided that it needs one of you. There is no one else and will never be anyone else exactly like you. Bask in the knowledge that just as you are, flaws and all, you are more than enough.

I promised you two verses, so here's one more. It's my favourite one.

2 Corinthians 12:9 "And he said unto me, my grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me." (KJV)

~ Anne :)