~33~ Park Hae Jin

~33~ Park Hae Jin

Yibo's look when Hae Jin appeared with his son, who is now almost nine years old, was too delicious. Only last night Yibo had once again refused to believe that Hae Jin is into women. According to Yibo, or rather as he suspects, Hae Jin has hidden feelings for me. I told him several times that Hae Jin is different than he thinks.

And when Hae Jin came with his son Park Jo-Tae, Yibo could not believe it at all.

Granted, very few people even know that Hae Jin has a son. He himself only found out a few months after the death of Seo Joon. His son was also the reason why he went back to Seoul.

At that time, he received a call from his parents that a woman had left a little boy at their door, with his papers and a fatherhood test, and said that now it was Hae Jin's turn to take care of his son.

Hae Jin returned home stunned because he had no idea that he was even a father. Even when he saw the boy in front of him and went through the papers, it took him a while to remember who the boy's mother was.

In the end it came back to him. He was in the senior class at the time and before the stress of the exams started, his class took a graduation trip. They had gone to a country home and spent a whole week there. With them at the same time another class, from another school and city, had been there.

Since the other class was all girls, and Hae Jin's class was all boys, they were obviously excited and secretly spent time together.

On a trip to the city, they secretly bought alcohol and cigarettes for the last evening at the country home. And when the teachers and caretakers went out together in the evening to have fun, the two groups of students celebrated together, secretly near a clearing in the woods. They got drunk, smoked, listened to music and danced together.

Hae Jin had an eye on one of the girls there, she was a year older than him and apparently already quite experienced. She pulled him into the forest with her where they slept together. They had exchanged phone numbers when they said goodbye to each other, but she never got in touch. She never answered any of his messages or called him back.

And then suddenly around a year and a half ago, she dropped her son off at Hae Jin's parents' house and disappeared again. Hae Jin searched for weeks and even hired a private detective to find her. And when he finally found her, she told him that she got pregnant at that time when they met.

She had kept it a secret because her parents wanted it that way and she didn't need the money. She never wanted Jo-Tae to meet his father. Until she was examined by her family doctor during a routine check-up and there were some abnormalities. She was examined more thoroughly by a specialist who diagnosed her with colon cancer. Unfortunately it was in an advanced stage and no longer curable. The cancer had already started to spread and affect the other organs.

According to the doctor, she was given another six months. She did not want her son to grow up with his grandparents and therefore brought him to his father Hae Jin. She also didn't want her son to remember her seriously ill. So she took him away before it could be seen that she was doomed to die.

She had taken all her money from the bank account and went on another trip, and when she returned, she prepared herself for her upcoming death. Four months after the diagnosis, she died in a hospital. She had not seen her son again, who thinks his mother is a secret agent and should have no more contact with him to keep him safe.

Hae Jin plans to enlighten his son soon and tell him the truth. Even though his mother insisted that he never know the truth. Hae Jin didn't want to continue lying. Besides, the children at school laughed at him when he told about his secret agent mother. And he receives constant bullying.

I remember that Hae Jin fell out of all the clouds when he heard about his son. He was stunned, angry and frustrated. It took several weeks before he was ready to take on the role of the father. Now he can't imagine his life without the little guy.

His son is a sweet boy who is loved very much by his father. Even though he is autistic and has a slight mental handicap, which probably came from a birth trauma. Hae Jin doesn't know more details, and he also can't ask Jo-Tae's mother about it anymore.

Yibo looked at the boy who held a big bag of peanuts out to him and asked him to open the peanuts for him. Yibo took Jo-Tae by the hand and went with him into our hurriedly prepared living room where they sat down on the sofa and Yibo began to free the peanuts from their shells.

I sat down with them and Yibo gave me a kiss on the cheek. Jo-Tae looked at him questioningly and then asked in Korean, "What are you doing with Zhan GeGe?" Hae Jin translated it for him and then Jo-Tae cleared his throat and repeated the question in Chinese. One of the talents of Jo-Tae, and probably because of his autism, is the gift of languages. He learns other languages very quickly.

Yibo grinned and explained to Jo-Tae that it was his way to show me that he loves me. Jo-Tae was satisfied with this and then packed peanut by peanut in a second bag he had brought with him. Yibo did not ask what he was doing. He just smiled.

The conversation between the two got exciting when Jo-Tae saw a picture of Yibo on a motorbike, I put it on the shelf just before. Jo-Tae jumped up, grabbed the picture and asked Yibo several questions about the motorbike. Every little detail interested the boy and Yibo was all too willing to answer all his questions.

They also talked about other motorcycles and racers. It was nice to watch them talking so excitedly. I knew that Yibo would be happy when he met the little man. After all they share a hobby.

Hae Jin said to me that Jo-Tae is probably the best proof that Yibo is a good man. Because otherwise Jo-Tae would not have spoken three sentences with him. I agreed with him. The boy has a very good sense for good and evil.

When I first met him, it was like Yibo. I had to open a huge bag of peanuts for him. And while I was freeing nut by nut from its shell, Jo-Tae told me about various artists he liked. Before that, he had seen one of my paintings that I painted. He asked all kinds of questions about the paint used, the canvas, brushes and even paint thinner.

From that day on I could count myself to his friends and he called me Zhan GeGe. Even then I was impressed by him. And the bigger he gets, the more similar he becomes to his father. They say boys come after their mothers. I saw his mother once, a few weeks before she died. I hardly recognize her in Jo-Tae and I can't say anything about her character, because I only saw her for a short time. But I think you can't go by character anyway when it comes to Jo-Tae. Autistic people can't be evaluated according to that.

After Jo-Tae had gotten the promise from Yibo to take him with him when he rides a motorbike, it was recorded on video, Hae Jin and his son said goodbye. And still hours later Yibo spoke enthusiastically about the boy. He decided to keep his promise as soon as possible.

I asked Yibo if he had ever thought of being a father himself. He said yes, but then he said that he just did not know if he would ever be a father. He admitted not to know if he could raise a strange child from an orphanage. Or to have a child carried by a surrogate mother. "I'm too young to worry about that now anyway."

I could understand and sympathize with his answer. Now I am curious how he will react when little Park Jin Mi will be living here soon. The daughter of Seo Kyung and his wife! Because last night my mother-in-law told me that she will move in within the next two weeks and will probably live with Yibo and me.

 The daughter of Seo Kyung and his wife! Because last night my mother-in-law told me that she will move in within the next two weeks and will probably live with Yibo and me