CHAPTER TWO

Days have passed, Emilia and I haven't talked since then. I refused to talk to her either. I a still angry about what happened to my hair. Burned Hairstyle? Bullsh-t, there's no such trend!

I tied my hair in a bun so other students won't see how damaged my hair is.

I was working on my essay assignment when my schoolmate, Clarke, sat in front of me. I glanced at him without saying a word.

What is he doing here? I thought

He smiles at me and said, "Your hair looks good today,"

Looks good? Argh, shut up.

I smiled back at him as I replied, "Thanks..."

"I'm in the same class as you," he randomly uttered

"What class?" I ask

"Uh, history class? I sat behind the back."

"Oh, I see. Well, it's good to know you then, but, do you mind? I still have something to do."

"Sure, sure. So, uhm, may I hang out with you after class?" He asks

"I can't, I'm sorry."

"Okay, but may I ask for you to help me with the assignment?"

He's persistent, it's irritating. But, I'm supposed to help other students in need, right?

"The assignment is simply to write a two hundred words essay about the first president of America, George Washington, and his achievements during his reign. It's not that hard," I stated

"I know nothing about George Washington."

"That isn't my problem anymore, Good luck with your essay."

He sigh and said, "I see. It's such a bummer, I'm looking forward to being friends with you, however, you seem like you're not interested at all."

He then left. I didn't react, I simply ignored him because the last time I tried to make some new friends, they burned my hair.

I am not dumb, I know he wants me to do the assignment for him.

As soon as I finished the assignment, I picked up the book Clash of Royals.

My mood changed as I began reading the book. The story is good so far, I can't wait to finish this book!

The bell rang, and it's time for me to head back to my classroom. While I was walking down the corridor, I saw Emilia. She looks at me blankly before she walks away

I entered the trigonometry class, I was surprised to see Clarke there

He simply waves at me and pointed to the vacant seat right beside him

I ignored him and went to another seat.

The professor soon came in, looking grumpy as usual

He slammed his textbook on his desk and stated, "Settle down, who amongst you believes in God."

Most of my classmates raised their hands, but I didn't

The professor noticed me and yelled, "Miss Bryony! Stand up!"

My classmates fixes their gazes in my direction as I stood up. The professor approached me and stated, "May I know the reason why you don't believe in God."

"Well, I- I believe that everything that was stated in the sacred book was just a concept—"

He cut me off by saying, "Did you even read the bible, Miss Bryony?"

"Absolutely, I read everything in the bible. It's just, I'm not certain that the creator of the world is real."

"And why's that? Are you perhaps, worshipping the devil?"

"What? No." I replied, "What made you think of that, professor? I simply don't believe that everything in the bible is real, it is because I am certain that heaven and hell are just a concept to dictate where good people and bad people go after they died. Most people in the bible even doubt that the son of God is real, and one of his twelve disciples, Judas Iscariot, was the reason why he died simply because he betrayed him and he was blinded by the money that the Jewish priest gave to him. Greediness is what drove Judas to betray Jesus, however, he regretted it and hang himself to death. And Abraham? Willing to kill his son just to prove his loyalty to the Almighty God? That's a big no. Even David, who defeated the giant Goliath by believing in God, committed a sin that was against God's ten commandments—you shall not kill and you shall not covet adultery. And, me? Worshipping the devil? I don't believe in him either. He is just a concept, and clearly, Satan is the antagonist in the bible."

"Then how could you define how the Earth was made, if God isn't real."

"That's simple, if you study science very well, you'll know the answer to that question."

"Are you being sarcastic right now, Miss Bryony?"

"N- No, I just said that—"

"You're studying at a very prestigious catholic school and yet you don't believe in God!?" He raised his voice at me, "Even if you top the whole school with your intelligence, the fact that you don't believe in God, is what makes you, and your whole opinion about our religion is invalid! Detention, now!"

"But—"

"Go!"

I grabbed my things and went directly to detention. Their eyes were on me as I departed the classroom.

Why did the principal enroll me in this class, damn...