CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR

Zillah's POV

it's been a week since Eva woke up. Noah is here to assist her. It's also been a week since she cannot eat properly nor sleep properly. She lost a lot of weight these days.

I heard servants talking as I passed by

"Lady Evaine is really gloomy, it's getting creepy."

"Shh, lower down your tone, someone might hear you."

"But it's true. I wonder what happened during the festival."

"She fainted without a reason, and after she woke up, she cannot eat and she's always gloomy or in deep thoughts."

"She deserves it. She is a goody two shoes anyway. A two faced bitch."

Both of them laughs. I clench my fist, I wanted to yell at them for talking ill about Eva, but I couldn't do it. I do not have the courage to yell at people.

"Lady Zillah,"

I heard Noah's voice. I saw him approaching me.

"Noah, what brings you to me?"

"I was about to bring water to lady Evaine, however, it seems like I got lost. The palace is too big, I cannot find the kitchen."

"The kitchen isn't in the second floor, silly. C'mon, I'll show you."

We walked downstairs, we are heading towards the kitchen when a thought comes to my mind

"Why are you fetching a water for her? Where's Merry?"

"She's in a day off. Evaine told me that Merry went back to her hometown for a day, she'll be back tomorrow." He answered

I nodded my head, "Hmm, I see. But, what about the other servants?"

"About that, it seems like no one wants to be near her again. Back in the School Of Knights, I heard students talking about Lady Evaine. They said she caught a curse. After the festival ended, the crops began to decayed, and some was infected by a plant eating worms."

"That whole thing doesn't have to do with lady Evaine."

"I know, but the people thinks it was because of her."

"Why do they detest her so much?" I asks

"General Anderson told me this story before. Lady Evaine's biological father was a son of an Earl. Nobles who knew him said he is a very handsome man, but he is a womanizer. He doesn't want to take any accountants to all the trouble that have caused. But, when he mets her majesty, he got her pregnant by accident. He was afraid to become a father so he ran away from all his responsibilities. Rumors said that he is still inside the empire, hiding from her majesty with her different women. Of course, his tainted reputation already affected lady Evaine even before she was born.  They're afraid that she's also a troublemaker like her father so they don't want her presence. Some already planned to throw her once she becomes the queen, and some we're ready to protest."

"How awful. Her father's mischievous attitude has nothing to do with her. Even if she's his daughter, that doesn't mean she'll have the same reputation as him."

"I know, lady Zillah. But, not everyone can see the goodness inside her. After all, they only believe what they have heard." He stated

I sighed, "I see. Here's the kitchen by the way, you can ask the servants to bring the water to Eva. You don't have to do their job, you're a knight, not a palace maid."

I left after I said it. I went to the study hall and grabbed a book to ease my mind. Lady Evaine is going to a rough time her entire life. I do not want her to feel that she's an outcast. I have to be by her side all the time. After all, she'll be the queen of Mortimer Empire soon.