Chapter 3

POV:Percy

         Percy watched the shrouds burn. So many of his friends had died. Again. Gaea was defeated, and both camps had made peace after Octavian's death. But the cost had been steep.

        Neither Leo nor Annabeth survived the end of the battle on the shores of Camp Half Blood. Both of his friends had given up their lives to protect the world from the dirt queen. He stood to the side, the torch he'd used to light the pyres still loose in his hand. He dropped it to the ground and walked away from the low black flames. Percy just wanted to disappear, but he knew there were still things to be done to clean up from the giants. The worst was yet to come.

        Nico waited for him at the edge of the woods. His face pale and drawn. Will Solace was giving him a last few stern instructions.

         "You go there, eat a square of ambrosia and come straight back. No pit stops, detours or other Underworld powers. Clear?" Nico nodded solemnly at the golden haired son of Apollo. He looked to Percy and held his arm out.

         "You know this could wait until tomorrow." He said softly. Percy shook his head.

          "No. I have to do it now. Otherwise I'll never do it." Nico nodded, pity written across his young features. Percy gripped Nico's arm tightly and they melted into the shadows.