Chapter 73

POV: Steve

          He may be a soldier, used to following orders, but following the Baby Avenger didn't sit right with Captain America. He was used to leading his men into battle, not following them. But he was out of his depth and he knew it, so he kept his mouth shut and crept down the strange earthen stairs behind Percy as the Avengers and Nico moved deeper underground. The only person who looked even remotely comfortable with the concept was Nico. Percy was muttering something about a girl named Hazel and Nico was warning his cousin about how angry Thalia was going to be when she learned that they went charging off to save Annabeth without her.

          The steps kept going and going, and the deeper they went, the darker and hotter the tunnel they travelled through got. Over time, one wall dropped away completely, and they were walking down a path in a cavernous room. The wide trail wound down the sides towards a sinister something. The air grew strangely humid and Steve felt as though something was watching him. Something was wrong. Percy held up his hand, halting the progression of their group. A heavy stomping noise could be heard below them, along with a strange hissing, spitting sound. Percy paled.

          "Kampè." He whispered. Nico looked like he was going to be sick.

          "We're so screwed." The young boy muttered back. Percy nodded. Tony looked frustrated.

          "Who is Kampè?" He asked, barely keeping his voice to a whisper. Steve suppressed the urge to smack the billionaire. Only reason he didn't was because Natasha already beat him to it. And really, for a genius, the man couldn't really afford to lose or damage anymore brain cells. 

          "Kampè is the jailer. Worked for Kronos during the reign of the Titans in the Third Age, she tortured the inhabitants of Tartarus a long time ago. Then Zeus came along to free the cyclopes and the hekatonkheires as allies during the first Titan War and killed her with the master bolt when he broke them out. Then during the Second Olympian War the last of the hekatonkheires, Briareos, killed her by burying her under a small mountain of rocks during the Battle of the Labyrinth two years ago." Tony gulped at Nico's serious expression. Bruce looked up, a wry expression on his usually tired face.

          "I guess it's a good thing the Other Guy is on our side huh?" Percy smirked a little.

          "Yeah, it's a very good thing."