Part 45

-Oz-

*It was the height of the night, people with power and money poured through the doors. People like that always loved a Cobblepot Event. He swayed to the music with a smile. The singers he hired were doing a lovely job, but not as good as Alex would have done. 'Stop, Oswald. Enjoy yourself tonight...' He thought to himself. That was all the reminding he needed as he smiled with delight, he had a feeling that Alex would want to see him really soon. Soon she'd realize what he could do for her; how great they could be again. He was snapped out of his thoughts when a man with black hair and stubble came up to him with his friend.* "Steven, Nicolas! How are you two?!" *He screamed in excitement as he saw the two men. Old colleagues, he knew from across the way. They chatted and drank,* "Man, why didn't you tell us the bitches in Gotham are psychotic?!" *They laughed as the Penguin raised his glass,* "You're preaching to the choir, my friend!" *He agreed. If Oz realized one of the people the men were talking about was Alex, he'd be dead. But he didn't know and the men all continued to have a good time. Something still felt missing, though, and deep down he knew what it was.*

-Natalie-

*Earlier that night: She laughed silently, covering up her mouth with her hand.* "Let's just say the party didn't start here!" *She smiled brightly as she led them to the men. One had brown hair and glasses and the other had black hair and slight stubble. She whispered to Alex,* "Okay, we're not who we are." *Alex looked over at the girl with a confused face... What did she mean?* "It costs money to stare at such beautiful women such as ourselves." *She spoke in a fake German accent, leaning on the bar next to the guy with slicked-back hair and glasses.* "Are you gonna pay?" *The man flushed and smiled.* "Yes, yes! Let us buy you ladies some drinks!" *She smiled and sat down on the stool next to him. She waited for Alex to sit next to the other man. She thought the best way for Alex to feel better was harmless fun like flirting with a fake persona.* "What about you, sweet thing? What's your name and what would you like to drink?" *The dark-haired man smirked. Alex didn't like it at first, clearing her throat to do her best impression.* "My name is... Mila." *She did her best giggle, telling him a drink she wanted off of the menu. They continued their meaningless yet fun flirting, the men spent hundreds of dollars on them there. They bragged about their jobs to girls, both of them in high government positions. Alex had to stop herself from rolling her eyes and Natalie inwardly cringed every time the men spoke until eventually, Natalie held up her hand, stopping the man with glasses, who they came to know as Nicolas Jacobson. She dropped the phoney accent.* "Okay, thank you, Gentlemen, for participating in our experiment. That will be all." *The men gave them weird looks, causing Alex to laugh.* "Huh, what are you talking about? What's going on?" *The men made their loud complaints obvious. They called the girls weird and paid off their own tabs before leaving, grumbling all the way. Natalie and Alex couldn't help but laugh with each other, it was something they both needed.*

-Alex-

*Alex couldn't believe what she'd done. She'd flirted. With random men! She hadn't done that since she started dating Oswald. *"That was really fun. Harleen would've just beat them up for looking at me wrong."* Natalie laughed. *"You were surprisingly good at that. Teasing Nicholas by sitting with the slit of your dress riding all the way up to the top of your high was a nice touch. He couldn't keep his eyes up!"* Alex blushed. *"Yes, well, flirting is sort of familiar to me, as when I was singing in clubs, I'd have men come up to me all the time after shows to congratulate me and try and take me home with them. That was how I met Oswald, actually. After one show at the lounge, I was being bugged by a particularly persistent man who was clearly drunk and trying to force me onto him. I was so scared. But Oswald came right up to him and shot him. Now, even though the lounge had hired me to sing, I'd never seen Oswald before, I had no idea he was the big man in charge."* Alex explained. *"Had I known, I wouldn't have broken down crying because I was scared. But apparently, Oz thought it was adorable, and took to comforting me. Soon after, he would visit me after all my shows to make sure I wasn't being harassed. He asked me what I did during the day, and I told him I went to college, and singing at the club was to help pay for it. The next thing I knew, he'd paid for my entire four years of college, hooking up with me soon after."* Natalie placed her hand over her heart as they walked to her car. *"That is so sweet."* *"Y-yeah, I guess it is."* Alex smiled softly. Suddenly, Natalie gasped, startling Alex. She jumped and landed on her leg wrong. "Ouch!"* she cried, leaning on Natalie for support. *"Oh, sorry, sorry. But I have a GREAT idea... we should go to the lounge!"* Alex's heart nearly stopped. *"Okay, you're drunk, you had too many cocktails, give me your phone so I can call Albert."* *"His name is Alfred, and I'm not drunk. Just tipsy."* Natalie corrected. *"Look, I don't go partying like my brother does every other night, so I don't know what it's like! The Iceberg Lounge is having another one of their blowouts tonight, we should go. Besides, you know the place well enough, so you can show me around. Plus, there will be so many people there, there is no way Oswald will even know we came!" Alex gestured to her crutch. *"I can't go like this, I'll stick out."* *"We'll be discreet. Please! Pretty please, I'm having such a good time with you! I've never had a 'girls night'." Natalie pouted at Alex. Alex sighed. Natalie was her ride home- she was not paying for a cab- and she couldn't walk home. *"I-I guess."* Natalie cheered and helped Alex into the car. As they drove towards the lounge, Alex wondered what she got herself into... and also made a mental note that if she ever went out with Natalie again: NO ALCOHOL.*

-Jonathan-

*He crept to Alex's apartment door and tried the handle. Locked. He took out a bobby pin that he kept for just this occasion and easily picked the lock. He crept into the apartment, shutting the door as quietly as possible. As a precaution, just in case anyone saw him, Jonathan put on his mask to conceal his identity. There were no signs of anyone, however. The lights were off and the blinds were closed. The TV was on, but it was on a screen saver. Suddenly, Lucifer meowed at him, scaring the shit out of the doctor. *"Jesus Christ, you're lucky I like cats, or you'd be punted out that window!"* he hissed. He went over to the vent where he put the last vial, and took the empty one out, replacing it with the new one. It was more potent than the last batch, and he added more poison to it for a longer-lasting effect. Once he was done, Jonathan was heading back to the door, when he heard footsteps outside. *"Alex, are you home? I'm back! Just checking up on you! Do you need me to stay the night?"* Jonathan groaned at the sound of Harleen's voice. The handle began to turn. *"Alex, your door's unlocked!"* *"Great, I forgot to lock the door. Rookie mistake."* Jonathan chided himself. He rushed over to the window and opened the curtains, then he pried the window open. He stepped out onto the ladder outside and climbed down as fast as he could. He reached the bottom just in time because Harleen had made her way inside and was looking out the open window, confused. He hid behind a dumpster and waited for Harleen to close the window before rushing to his car. There, he took off his mask and relaxed. *"Now, Oswald and Selena. But I'll save them for a later day."* He muttered, wanting to go to bed.*