Chapter Twenty: New Zealand Commemoration Service

Isla of Sussex

May 18th, 2014

I held onto Harry's hand on he helped me out of the car and I waved softly to the crowd. Though I wanted to leave after our two-day tour of Estonia I could not. Orders from Her Majesty were to stay through the Italy one as well.

Harry offered me his arm and I quickly wrapped my hand around it before allowing him to lead me towards the Cemetery of Cassino.

Waiting to greet us was Commander James Dible along with Commander Claudio Graziano.

"Your Royal Highnesses! Thank you so much for being here today." Claudio said as he shook our hands.

"It is our pleasure to be here today," I said as I stepped backward and Harry shook his hand.

"It is our honor and pleasure to be here. I know what is it like to be in the army and to bury our fellow soldiers." Harry said and both James and Claudio nodded.

"We know we told you to arrive here early just so we could give you a little history of what happened here," James said as he turned and began leading us past the crowd and near the cemetery.

"This battle was one of the bloodiest battles of World War II. Over the religious place, the battle waged for over four months." Claudio began as we made our way to the memorial book.

"The way it ended was on May 18th, 1944 when the Allies bombed Monte Cassino to rubble. It is rumored that the Allies sustained over 55,000 casualties during this four-month battle." Claudio finished and I stared at the names that were on the plaque in front of the book.

"It would be an honor if the two of you signed this," James said as he offered me the pen first. I nodded as I placed my clutch under my arm as I bent down and signed my name as perfect as I could.

I stood up and handed the pen to Harry who grinned at me and signed his name as well. Once he signed the pair started to lead us towards the Cemetry.

"We know the next couple of months shall be busy for you. With Harry's Invictus Games launching in September." James said and I grinned as I rubbed my fingers over Harry's hand.

"I know. We are looking forward to the Invictus Games." I said as we arrived in the cemetery. I let go of Harry's hand. I closed my eyes as the anthem began playing and I heard the cries of people who have lost their family members.

When I opened my eyes I began following Harry down towards the monument as the current soldiers began the march down. I smiled softly at all of them before the march stopped.

Two children walked over to Harry and I and offered us a red flower wreath. I turned and handed my clutch to Sarah before I grabbed a part of the wreath and Harry followed me.

As we walked towards where the other wreaths were left at and I bent down and placed the wreath next to the other ones.

When we stepped back I bowed my head for a moment of silence. I lifted my head and wiped a tear away before following Harry back to our spot with the other commanders.

Chairs had been set up for the service and I sat in the middle with Harry to my left and James on my right. I lifted a hand to the cameras before I crossed my ankles and watched as the Archbishops began the service.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Two Hours Later ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Harry helped me into the truck I waved goodbye one last time to crowd one last time as he closed the door. He climbed in on the other side and I smiled softly at him.

"So, you are going on a four-day tour of Brazil and then a two-day tour of Chile?" I asked and Harry shook his head.

"I wish I didn't have to. I hate being away from you and Diana for so long." He said as the car began moving and I took my hat off and my hair out of my ponytail.

"I know. But it is our duty to the crown. We agreed to bear titles that came with tours, patrons, and everything else. No, we won't be king and Queen but we still have our duty." I said and Harry smiled as he leaned over and gave me a deep kiss.

"What would I ever do with you?" He asked and I chuckled as I took his hat off and ran my fingers through his hair.

"Go insane probably. But you shall never have to worry about me leaving." I whispered and he smiled as he took my hand and held it close to him.

"You swear?"

"I swear to you," I whispered before we arrived at our hotel room and I climbed out of the truck. I grinned when I saw Alice and Diana waiting for me.

I scooped Diana into my arms and kissed her forehead.

"Mi pequeña princesa. Mamá te ha extrañado." (My little princess. Momma has missed you.) I whispered as Harry joined us and Diana jumped into her father's arms.

"She did wonderfully today. Took about an hour nap. But I believe she is ready to leave." Alice said as we all started to make our way inside.

"I believe we are all ready to go home for a little while."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@DailyMail_UK: The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were seen attending a goodbye concert before wrapping up their tour! They thanked the Italian President along with the Italian people for the warm and happy welcome

The couple shall return to England where they shall enjoy some time off before back to back engagements!