Chapter Twenty-Three: Trooping of the Colour 2014

Isla of Sussex

June 14th, 2014

I smiled as I bounced Diana on my hip as we wait for Kate and Will to meet us in the car. Today was Diana's first trooping and she would be joining us only on the balcony.

When she turns either five or six depending on what Harry and I say she would join us for the carriage ride. Though George would be turning one next month he was not allowed to be on the balcony with us.

I heard the door opened and out stepped Will, Kate, George, and Maria.

"George!" Diana cried out when she saw her cousin earning me to chuckle.

"May I take her as well?" Maria asked and I nodded as she took Diana out of my arms.

"Be good for Maria. Daddy and I will see you soon." I said as Maria took the kids to one of the cars that would take her directly to the Palace.

"Is that mum's hat?" Will asked as he led Kate, Harry, and I to the next car.

"Yes, I went through some of the boxes and thought Isla should wear it," Harry said as I slid into the third row with Harry before Kate and Will slid into the middle row.

"It looks really nice on you Isla. The pink one did as well." Kate said as we made our way towards The Mall. Will again would be riding the horse while Kate, Harry, and I would be riding with Camilia in the carriage.

When we got to The Mall and all climbed out before getting into the carriage with Camila.

"Blue looks wonderful on you Isla! June must be the month for blue." She said as Kate climbed out first and I climbed in after her. Once Harry was in the door closed and I waved to the crowd that called my name.

"Thank you. I like pale blue most." I said before we started moving and I noticed we were moving. I looked around and saw everyone was in their usual carriages.

Edward and Sophie were with Andrew and Eugenie. Her Majesty was sitting with Prince Phillip. Then Beatrice sat with Peter and Autumn.

I felt Harry grab my hand and I turned to him and smiled before I looked at Kate and grinned.

"The two of us have been doing this for years now. How do we get used to it?" I asked and Kate chuckled before grinning at me.

"No, I don't think we will ever get used to it. Do you?" She asked as she turned to Camilia who smiled and shook her head.

"No. Every year something always makes it different from the last." She said and I heard someone call out "Duchess Isla!"

I turned my head to see a little girl on her father's shoulder waving to me as she waved her sign. I squinted my eyes before I saw photos of me and grinned.

"It's beautiful!" I called out as the carriages did the final loop before we all stopped to go to the balcony.

Once the carriages stop we were only allowed to get out in order of our line in the succession.

I held onto Harry's hand as he helped me out of the carriage and I smiled as we stopped behind Kate and Will. Beatrice and Andrew lined up behind us and I smiled at Beatrice.

Once we were all inside I hugged Beatrice and Eugenie.

"Is Diana here?" Eugenie asked before I heard little footsteps and turned to see Diana running to me at full speed.

"There she is!" I said as Eugenie scooped her into her arms and hugged her goddaughter tight.

"Can we all just say two years ago we all found out Isla was pregnant and now she's here?" Beatrice said as we walked the familiar staircase to the balcony.