Poetic Justice

'Love is not just a verb, it's you looking in the mirror
Love is not just a verb, it's you looking for a maybe
Call me crazy, we can both be insane
A fatal attraction is common
And what we have common is pain'

Brooklyn, New York
Belcalis Almanzar

"So why now then?"

"Like I told you at the store, she it" I smile looking out my window and down a barrel.

Clenching the small box in my pocket I close my eyes as the shots fill my ears.

My breathing slowed as bullets penetrated my skin.

All the dirty shit I did in the streets, I knew the game wasn't letting me go that easy.

My eyes shoot open to a bright light pointed directly in my face.

Looking to my side I see doctors scrambling around, their scrubs drenched in my blood.

My face was covered with a breathing mask and I could feel a tube down my throat, my fist still clenched around the small box.

"N-nic" I mumble feeling my eyes well with tears before slowly sliding down the sides of my face.

I couldn't stop thinking about them.

About her.

Memories of everything I was leaving behind ran through my mind and my tears intensify as I start to hyperventilate.

My kids, the love of my life, my family, my friends.

"Ms. Almanzar I need you to calm down, please" The doctors pleads but I couldn't stop the tears, my heart was hurting.

"We need to stabilize her now or she isn't going to make it, she's already lost too much blood!" The doctors frantic voice fills my ears and in the next second something pricks my skin and I feel myself going number than I already was.

Lazily looking up at the bright light I let my tears fall freely as darkness slowly succumbs me.

Brooklyn, New York
Onika Maraj

I blankly stare at the wall, my body in the hospital lobby but my mind somewhere else.

Bianca was beside me trying her best to comfort me but I was numb.

The love of my life was in the ICU fighting for her life right now with a small chance of survival.

She caught the short end of the stick with 4 bullet wounds, two in the stomach, 1 in the neck, and 1 in the chest.

Erica got lucky with just two wounds in the thigh, she was already up and was expecting to make a full recovery.

I knew I was wrong and selfish but I'd do anything to have her and cardi switch places.

The last update we had was hours ago, one doctor came out to tells us that she had flatlined twice and they were struggling to stabilize her.

I couldn't imagine my life without her, we had finally come so far and now this happens.

Why did this world want to take her away from me?

I couldn't wrap my head around the last 24 hours, everything happened faster than I could process.

5 hours ago I would've never thought I would be in this hospital lobby, but here I was.