We Can't Do This (Jon Snow x fem!Tully reader)

You sighed dreamily as you watched Jon the practice yard. You weren't sure when it happened, but you had fallen in love with him. As a Tully, there was a part of you that knew you could never be together. Your sister Catelyn would never allow it, even though you weren't related to Jon by blood at all. She hated him.

But you couldn't help it. You loved the brooding young man. His dark hair and eyes had captivated you from the moment Catelyn and Ned had agreed to take you in. He was strong and fiercely loyal as well as kind. Yes, Jon was flawed like everyone else, but you loved him even for his faults. Even so, you knew it was an impossible situation.

Jon's eyes met yours across the yard and he gave you a soft smile. You waved a little, prompting him to come over to you. "Good morning, Y/N." You smiled a little. "Good morning, Jon. Your skills are improving every day." You wanted to slap yourself. Not exactly smooth. Jon laughed lightly. "I guess you could say that. It'll come in handy when I go to the Wall."

You frowned at that. Jon had been talking about going to the Wall for months and you really didn't want him to go. If he were able to convince Ned, Jon would be gone soon. You hated the very thought of losing him. "Do you really have to go, Jon?" Jon nodded solemnly. "You know I do. There's nothing for me here. No honor." You swallowed thickly. How did he not see it? How could he not see how much you loved him?

"I see. Um, I just remembered I had something to do. I'll talk to you soon, Jon." You didn't wait for a reply before you turned on your heel and made your way back inside. Jon stared at your retreating back with a sigh. That hadn't gone well at all. Still, you had always known that taking the Black was his plan. He couldn't understand why you were so upset with him now. It wouldn't take him long to find out though.

Word that the King was coming to Winterfell spread like wildfire throughout the castle. It brought excitement to some and dread to others. To you, it meant change. You couldn't explain it, but you could sense that something was going to change and not for the better. It helped to make up your mind. You were going to tell Jon how you felt if it killed you.

Once again, Jon was outside. It was his favorite place to be. You approached him slowly as the sun began to set behind the horizon. The King would be arriving in the morning and this was your last chance to talk to Jon. "Good evening, Y/N." You gave him a sad smile. Jon didn't miss it. Then again, he never missed anything when it came to your moods.

"What troubles you?" You took a deep breath and looked into his dark eyes. "There's something I have to say and I ask that you not interrupt me." Jon nodded but he look thoroughly perplexed. Taking another breath, you started. "I don't even know how to begin other than I don't want you to go to the Wall." Jon opened his mouth to protest then thought better of it so you continued.

"I know you feel like there is no future here for you, but that's not true. I'm here. If you let me, I could be your future. What I'm trying to say is that I love you, Jon. It'll break my heart if you leave me." You stopped and looked at him. He stared at you. You could see the gears turning in his head. But he didn't say anything. The silence was torture and you could only pray he put you out of your misery soon.

"I know, Y/N. I've always known," he finally started, "And I feel the same." You felt your heart leap, but Jon still looked upset. "But nothing can happen. Your sister would never allow it. I'm a bastard, Y/N. A bastard she hates. She would never agree to this no matter how strongly we feel for each other. We can't do this."

"Do you love me, Jon?" He looked at you like you were crazy. "I just told you I did." You shook your head adamantly. "No, Jon. I want to hear you say the words if you really feel them...Please." Jon took both your hands in his and stared into your eyes. "I love you, Y/N Tully. I have loved you for years despite every instinct that said nothing can happen between us." You sniffled as tears filled your eyes.

"Then my sister's opinion be damned," you stated, "We don't have to stay here. We can run away. Where they'll never find us. I love you, Jon and that's all that matters to me. I don't care that you're a bastard and I don't care what others will say." Jon was surprised at the resolve in your voice. So surprised that it took him a moment to realize exactly what you'd said.

"You would give up everything? Your house and title? The inheritance? Your sister's love?" You nodded. "Yes. Catelyn will still love me and I will love her. She will be angry for a while, but she'll get over it. As for my title and inheritance, they mean nothing to me if I can't be with you."

A silence descended over the courtyard. The torches were lit, but everyone had escaped inside the castle or into their homes. Only you and Jon were there with the exception of a few guards making their rounds of the grounds. "Jon, please say something. Anything. Agree to run away with me. Tell me to go to hell, but please say something."

Jon was never good with words. Instead, he removed his hands from yours and moved them to your face. Before you could breathe a word, his lips covered yours. You melted into the kiss. It was sloppy and wet, but you didn't care. You were just ecstatic that Jon was finally kissing you. He kissed you until your lungs felt like they were on fire.

"Is...that... a yes?" you managed between pants. Jon huffed out a laugh that echoed through the empty courtyard. "Yes, Y/N." You beamed up at him. "Then there's no time to lose. We have to go before Catelyn and Ned find out what we're up to." Jon nodded, took your hand in his again, and pulled you inside. As he escorted you to your chambers, he kept stopping to steal short, sweet kisses from you, making you giggle.

Once in your chambers, you kissed him again. "Go pack your own things, Jon. We can leave once the castle sleeps." Jon agreed. He resisted the urge to give you another passionate kiss and left your chambers. You quickly packed and sat on your bed to wait. You knew it would be hours before you could leave, but you were excited.

You were leaving, true, but you were going away with the man you loved. You just knew that you and Jon would be happy together. It didn't matter that you were leaving everything that you knew. You would be with Jon and that meant more than all the titles and lands in the world. You could do this. You could be with the man you loved.