Pleasant Company (Jaqen H'ghar x reader)

When you first met Jaqen, you were a little wary. He had a mysterious way about him, down to the way that he spoke. Still, you had seen him fight first hand and knew that there was probably no one better to travel with in the entire world. You weren't sure exactly how the subject was brought up, but you ended up asking Jaqen if you could travel with him, wherever he was going.

"This one's path holds many dangers. Are you certain you are ready?" You nodded eagerly. Maybe you could even convince Jaqen to train you a little bit better. You'd had some basic combat training but nothing like what Jaqen could do. Granted, you were certain that Jaqen had been training his entire life whereas you hadn't. "Then, it is time to go." You hiked your pack up on your shoulder and followed after Jaqen.

While you traveled, the two of you learned a lot about each other. It took a while, but Jaqen revealed to you that he was a Faceless Man from Braavos. Most people would have been frightened. You'd heard of them before. But you weren't afraid. If Jaqen had wanted to hurt you, he would have done so already. Besides, he only killed to appease the Many-Faced god. Your name wasn't on the list at the moment, so you were able to breathe easy.

But your favorite part of traveling with Jaqen? The nights. At night, when you would make camp, Jaqen would get very still and quiet. You could hear everything around you in such clarity. Everything from the owls in the trees, to the whispering of the brook and the rustling of leaves. Jaqen would sit there, sometimes with his eyes closed and just take it in, prompting you to do the same. He taught you the value of silence in those nights.

One night, you sat next to the fire and sighed in content. Jaqen opened his eyes and bestowed a soft smile on you. "A man has given your request thought. Are you still willing to be trained?" You jerked your head toward him and nodded vigorously. "Then you must travel with this one to Braavos. To the House of Black and White. The journey is long and difficult, but, should you succeed, you shall prove your worth to study under the Many-Faced god." You beamed at him.

Jaqen continued to sit in quiet reflection until you fell asleep. Then, he sighed lowly. He wasn't used to traveling companions. Yet, you were different. You weren't overly nosy or loud. You let him be during his quiet moments and you didn't try and force conversation. You never looked at him like you were afraid of him. Unlike most of his former acquaintances, Jaqen found that you were rather intelligent, ready to take on whatever the world threw at you. You were prepared to adapt to a life that wasn't always easy. All-in-all, he found your company very pleasant. He only hoped that would continue on the journey to Braavos.

He wanted to believe that you could handle what was coming. Since the death of the Waif girl at the hands of Arya Stark, Jaqen had lost some of his faith. He hoped that, maybe, it could be restored with your help. The thought brought a smile to his face as he lay down to sleep across from you.

By the time the two of you boarded the ship for Braavos, you were certain that Jaqen was the closest friend you'd ever had. He knew everything about you now. He was a little more reserved that you, but you figured that was just his nature. After all, he was a Faceless Man. Everything in their past was pretty much erased by the time their training was done. Not that he didn't remember it, but he had no time to dwell on it when he had to assume the face of another.

"Jaqen? Will I be a Faceless Man like you?" He looked up from his staff and gave alittle nod. "If you are willing and determined. If you obey the laws ofthe Many-Faced god, then you shall be No One." You nodded and sat down. The two of you sat there in silence while the crew bustled around you."Thanks for this, Jaqen. You really are a good friend." Jaqen shook his head fondly and chuckled. He'd never been called a friend before, but he was certain you were his. Still, he said nothing as you sat there, just enjoying each other's company.