CHAPTER 39 (1)

Samael was all done with his work today, he checked on the grills at the prison where his father had locked in the criminals. He never once have crossed the grills in the past eighteen years and there were strict orders from his father not to. Though agony cries were heard from time to time, Samael never dared to disobey his father. The cries were just ways how the sinners are paying off for their sins, which is what he was taught.

Making sure everything was in place, he took his time to make the property go invisible. There won't be any visible house when looked from the outside but then it was so much more on this side.

"Please, help" a cry erupts and reaches his ears halting his steps. He knew this voice, he heard it a lot of times before. And it was coming from one of the rooms and not the prisons. He turns towards the sound and nears the room. He stops right in front of the door, his hand settled on the knob. He looks for any sign of his father and when none found, he unlocks the door.

"Please" another plead gets heard right when Samael's eyes fall on the weeping woman. Cora had her face buried in the pillow in the darkroom. She perks up hearing the sound of the knob.

Samael stays at the entrance and just stare in the blank, not paying attention or detail to the woman who had tears filled in her eyes. He bows his head in respect, turns on his heels, and wraps his fingers around the knob to shut the door back and leave the room.

"Wait" the woman calls which causes the man to stop. He turns back and holds his head down, staring at his torn shoes. Cora lifts her weak body from the bed and manages to walk to the boy standing afar.

She lifts her hand, her fingers twitching as they proceed to touch the man standing before her. Or was it the young toddler that slept cooingly in her arms way back then? Her fingers halt when her eyes land on those shimmery black ones, which were half-lidded as they stared down.

He indeed was the child that was taken away from her.

"Sa- I-" she was confused about what to call him. "Samael" was not a name a mother would like to ever call her son. How could a woman in the right mind who has lost all her happiness just to find justice for her lost son could call him the king of Hell?

Call him a Satan?

"It's Samael, ma'am" the three words brought a huge crack to Cora's heart. There wasn't any hesitation in the boy's words. Does he not care about the name?

Or do the oblivious boy didn't know? Why would Christian name a young boy as such?

Her actions stopped midway before her fingertips could meet the hollow skin. Samael takes two steps back to avoid the contact. "Please rest" he bows and walks away from the room without any word.

Cora wrenched as she looked at the broad back of the boy, the back of the boy who is her son. And the back of the boy who just rejected her mere touch.

She fell on the floor, cursing herself as a habit now for ever trusting Christian. She looked at her hands, which only showed the lines of misery and chasm. What did she gain? The feelings of being...

Hollow, empty, broken?

That was it. She lost the best she had trying to achieve which was already gone. She ruined many lives from taking away the right to a mother's love from Brianna and Blake to trashing the life of the man completely she loved the most.

It was all her.

--------------------

Samael walked straight to his room and shut the door behind him. The picture of the woman who wanted to touch him lingered in front of his eyes. The energy around her felt so overwhelming that he couldn't afford to stand there for any more second.