chapter 16

Khwezi

I arrived at work then walked to Marlene and she gave me messages from clients. I thanked her and went to my office. I sat down and started to work. I didn't see Phiwo today, which was weird as she always comes to my office for lunch, but today, she didn't come. My phone rang and it was written "Future bae/Husband " . Haibo. I looked at it for a while, trying to remember who is saved as future bae/husband. I answered it.

Me: " Hello?"
Man: "Ntokazi enhle." Fuck, his voice. The type that will make you wet instantly.
Me: "Ngikhuluma nobani?" I genuinely didn't know the owner of this voice.
Man: " Hawu, ntokazi? UManqoba lona." Manqoba? Manqoba? Ohhh, it's the handsome asshole.
Me: " Oh, I didn't know that it was you. Phela, you saved yourself as Future bae/husband. "
Manqoba: "Ngizokushada phela mina. Ukuze uvuse umuzi woManzini." That got me blushing hard. How are Zulu men so good with words. Nkosi yam.
Me: "Haibo? We not even dating." He chuckled.
Manqoba: "Who told you that we are not dating?" My heart sank to my stomach.
Me: " You didn't ask me out nje?"
Manqoba: "Well you're now mine and mine only, sezwana?"
Me: "Yebo, Zungu." Fuck, this mouth of mine. Why did I say Zungu? Oh lord, what is this man doing to me? He chuckled again.
Manqoba: "Ngizobuye ngikubone MaNdaba."
Me: "Umm...ye..yebo." Why did I just stutter. Lord, have mercy on me! He had hanged up, and I sat back on my chair, thinking about him. I decided to call phiwo because I was worried about her.
It ranged for a long time before she answered.

Her: "Hello." She said in a low tone. O-kay.
Me: "Hey friend, where are you?"
Her: "I'm at home. I wasn't feeling OK so I decided to stay." Her voice was raspy, and it sounded like she had been crying.
Me: "Are you OK though?"
Her: "Khwezi, Ngi-right." She doesn't sound fine to me.
Me: "But Phiwo, you don't sound fine. It's like you were crying an-."
Her: "I SAID I'M FINE! Mus' ungibangela is'cefe." She hanged after she snapped at me. Wow, something was wrong. I left her like that. Maybe she was dealing with her own stuff and wanted to be alone. I packed up my things and then went to my car. As I was about to drive off, I received a call from my little sister, Emihle. I smiled immediately.

Me: "Mihle."
Her: "Dade, unjani?"
Me: "Ngiyaphila wena unjani?"
Her: "Ngi-fabulous babes." Emihle is as dramatic as my mother.
Me: "What did I do to receive a phone call from you?"
Her: "Hawu ngane yaNandipha noBhekani. Can't I just call my beautiful and smart sister. Do you know that when I grow up, I want to be like you. My role model." Gosh, this child. She does this when she wants a favor or she wants me to buy her something.
Me: "Emihle Ntombikayise Amber Ndaba, ufunani." Good, straight to the point.
Her: "Haibo, Khwezi? Why are you calling all my names like we're at home affairs? Yin manje?" I laughed at her.
Me: "Hhayi ke, then I'll hang up."
Her: "Ima...ima ok, um.. can you please b..buy me...an iPhone." She said the iPhone part softly, but I did hear what she said.
Me: "I can't hear you. Khuluma uzwakale Mihle."
Her: "Eish, sis' wami omuhle. Can you please buy me an iPhone. I promise I'll get As for my subjects and I'll be good. I'll also do more chores and help uMah with everything. Pretty please ntombikamama." She spoke very fast, and I could tell that she was so nervous. I was going to buy it for her since she did exceptionally well in her studies.
Me: "I'll buy it."
Her: "Please Star, I promise I'll behave an-...wait, what?" I laughed at her.
Me: "Yes, I'll buy it for y-." I removed the phone from my ear as she screamed in excitement. I heard my mom shouting at her.
Her: "Sorry mah, uKhwezi said she'll buy me the phone that I wanted."
Mom: "Is that her? Put me on loudspeaker. Hello, my baby. Usuwayeka ukusivakashela"
Me: "Haw cherry kaBaba, I'm coming to visit on the weekend." I heard Emihle scream in excitement.
Mom: "Hai wena man, stop making noise." I laughed at her.
Me: "Ai mah, I have to go. Please send my regard to ubaba. Love you."
Mom: "Ok, my baby, love you too." And she hanged up. I love my family. They really know how to put a smile on my face, but anyway, I drove out of the parking and headed home.