Chapter 17.

BEHOLDER.
CHAPTER 17.
.
NOKWANDA.
.
The whole room had gone silent as my mom's eyes moved around on each and everyone's face like she just caught us doing something illegal. I saw her over analyzing Jason who cleared his throat nervously and gave me this look that said say something. He was already on his feet looking like some nervous kid that didn't know how to act.

"Uh Ma?" I moved my eyes back to my mom who still had this face that showed how not pleased she was with me. "Kwenzakalani lana?" She asked, her eyes stayed intently on Jason. I cleared my throat as now my eyes moved to Jason and than back to my mum. I wanted to call him my friend but knowing how sensitive Jason can be, I opted for the truth. I would rather my mum be mad at me than my boyfriend. Thank you very much.  "Ma, This is Jason. He is uhm my boyfriend." I quickly put that out there so she could mind her words around him. She was such a Vusi fan,both her and my dad despite them knowing how bad he sometimes treated me. They still saw him as the perfect mkhwenyana. "Boyfriend?" She crossed her arms and not in an impressed way. She looked over to my aunt in total disbelief before she clapped her hands in this way that told me trouble was about to follow. She was about to get mad disrespectful and probably try and break Jason and I up. "What's your name son?" She was referring to Jason this, her eyes bored into his with so much intimidation to a point I got scared for him. "Jason Botha ma'am." Jason was so nervous. He cleared his throat because of how his voice came out hoarse.

"How old are you?" Mum asked still continuously scanning him. "29 ma'am." He answered once again and now I was left looking at him as I thought to myself. How in the hell do I not know this guy's age? What is it that I actually do know about this guy to be utterly honest. All I have been doing for the past few days is have sex with him. I don't know nothing about him. We should really get to know each other more.

"So is it your speciality to sleep with engaged woman?" The hostility that lingered on my mum's voice made me choke on my saliva and Jason was quick to check if I was okay despite confusion being written on his face. Well he wasn't the only one whose face had confusion written all over his face. Who was I engaged to?

"Engaged? I am not engaged." I said once I had fixed my little saliva problem. What was mum trying to do?

"Vusi sent me and your dad a letter, actually his uncles came and delivered it themselves. He is asking for your hand in marriage!" She jumped excitedly but I looked at my aunt who shrugged her shoulders sadly. She knew everything about Vusi and me and has always begged me to walk away and find better so her wearing this not so excited face was expected to me. "Ma,Vusi and I are not even together." I said once realization of what my mum just said. Why would Vusi send a letter asking for my hand in marriage when he was already marrying Sibahle.

"Well clearly you are the only one who thinks that, he wants to have you as his wife and has asked me to come here and keep an eye on you and now I see why he asked that." She gave Jason an evil look before she clicked her tongue. I looked at my friends who were clearly upset at my mom's actions but they wouldn't dare say a word to her. The whole african culture that says respect your elders was what was stopping them.

"Ma,Vusi is getting married in two weeks." Why would she want me to marry such a man? Why would she even get excited at the thought of me being with a man like that?

"You come from a polygamy family and look at how well you turned out." The shock that fell on my face when she said that. She wants me to become a second wife. After she went through so much because of her polygamy marriage.

"Haibo Ma!" I was shocked,I looked at my friends to say something but they all looked away. I moved my face to Jason who looked like he was soaking in my mum's words. "Jason I swear I didn't know about this." I was being honest. He surely was about to walk away from me. All I have been serving him since I agreed to be his girlfriend is drama and the common denominator was Vusi.