Chapter Twenty-Eight

Archibald sits on his throne hearing a man clear his voice as the old man in front of him states loudly.

"and it is decreed the lands north of the water shall return to the Cranes and as such, they return the mountain camps to you. even trade my lord."

the man shuffled through the papers fixing his glasses as he comments.

"Hmm."

Archibald taps his ring on the throne chair arm and Esa walks in the room serving him a drink.

"I heard it may be a long day."

He takes the drink taking a sip as he motions to the old man and whispers to his wife.

"if this old fool keeps taking it could be a long week."

Esa laughs staring down her charming husband as the man stares up staring Archibald over then shakes his head.

"no, no that's not it."

Archibald sighs out placing the drink down on the tray his wife holds out and demands.

"bring it here old man."

The man walks forward and Archibald grabs the papers eyeing the words as he comments staring over the words and looks to the man.

"a pen?"

The man takes out a pen and some ink. Archibald dips it making some corrections to it and shakes his head annoyed by the paperwork, but he stops hearing a loud voice.

"My lord!"

a peasant boy runs into the hall and his guards ready their swords as he motions for them to stop and eyes the boy over as the boy breathes out heavily.

"the dark death, they, they."

the boy falls to his knees and Archibald motions to this wife.

"take the boy to a bed and get him some water."

She nods and helps the boy up and into the back rooms and onto a bed. Archibald motions to his guard as he demands.

"steady your swords and protect this castle!"

the guards nod their heads motioning to the doors and they all stand their ground as they take out their swords readying themselves. Archibald walks in back eyeing over the boy and motions to his wife.

"ready yourself for travel my wife"

"travel?"

Archibald nods to her.

"do as I say at once."

She nods her head leaving him with the boy and he stares the boy over asking.

"tell me what is it you saw out there boy?"

the boy shakes seeing his king and asks unsure.

"what I saw?"

Archibald nods to the boy and the boy explains.

"they murdered everyone my lord, everyone. I was so weak I couldn't help anyone, i-"

Archibald eyes over the boy taking out a small dagger as he shushes the boy quieting him and the boy reaches out whispering.

"I knew you would save us."

Archibald smiles to the boy and slices the boys face with the dagger and the boy cries out in pain staring down his king as he hears the man speak firmly.

"aye, the strong ones."

the boy breaths out holding his bloody face and Esa walks in eying the scene as she eyes her husband holding the bloody dagger in his hand. she stands there in shock and he glances up to his wife commenting.

"he betrayed his clan's oath and I gave him the mark of a coward."

he motions to his wife and she stands there as he speaks firm.

"get the boy some water and clean up his slice"

Archibald places the dagger back into its sheath as he stares down the boy and the boy grips his bleeding face as he nods to the king.

"thank you for your mercy, my lord."

The boy smiles to the king feeling the pulsating in his face as Archibald nods to the boy as his eyes gloss over.

"aye let's hope your years of service to this crown brings your family name honor once again."

the boy reaches out with his bloody hand placing it over the king as he speaks firmly breathing erratically.

"aye my lord, I will serve in your name and be on your personal guard one day."

Archibald laughs as he stares down the peasant boy.

"high goals you have boy."

the boy lets out a laugh but his eyes roll back and he passes out as Archibald nods his head.

"and a tough boy you are."

he taps the passed out boys shoulder and his wife returns with some alcohol and a cloth. she wipes the boy's face as she comments.

"I don't understand why you had to hurt the boy."

Archibald motions to the boy and eyes over Esa.

"he was honored to be cut by his king and not killed. in my father's time, such weakness was rewarded with death, but I gave the boy a purpose and he will prove to be a strong guard."

he grips Esa's arms and whispers to her.

"clean him up well girl I must see to my duties."

Archibald walks by her and she mumbles under her breath.

"you do that."

He stops in the doorway and Esa continues cleaning the boys face as Archibald smiles to himself and walks out the door and down a long hall. Lady Wynn sits on her bed and he looks in eyeing her as she stares down at her hands and he smiles looking from the hall at his sister. he comes up to the doorway and she looks up staring over her king as she nods her head.

"my, my lord"

he walks into her room and shuts the door over and she sits back staring the good looking young king over. her face goes hot and she looks to the floor as she comments.'

"have you come back to finish what you didn't on your wedding night?"

Archibald fixes his robes staring down his half-sister as he comments.

"no, I am here because-"

he stops himself and his sister's eyes him over as he stays quiet but they are interrupted by a servant who holds up a device whispering to his king.

"a message my lord."

Archibald walks out into the hall and the servant walks away as he reads the message eyeing its content and quickly types a message sending it as he eyes the word.

"activate."