Chapter Twenty-Two

Archibald slowly follows behind the coffin hearing the low songs sang by the shaws as they carry Elizabeth's coffin along the streets of shaw city. the hums of her people lift into the air and Archibald follows behind the coffin hearing the old shaw king who walks next to him.

"I insisted to her not to go..." the man wipes his tears and Archibald remains quiet hearing the songs become louder as the people lift up the coffin and place it in the middle of shaw city. Archibald stands there and the retired king motions to him.

"it will be shipped off to the plateau. there is a nice area there next to her mother, and brother. she sure loved her mother. with permissions of course lord Archibald?" archer nods to the man.

"of course let her be with her brother and mother." Archibald reaches out placing his hand on the old man's shoulder and nods to him.

"I am sorry I let my guard down" Archibald confesses and the old man shakes his head disagreeing.

"you a warrior but not even you saw this coming to that boy that falls on the Galvins..." the man nods his head and steps forward placing his hand on the coffin and closes his eyes as he whispers.

"be at peace my daughter." Archibald stands there alone till the many people leave him there. he stares down the coffin till he hears a horse come up behind him and a voice raises interrupting his sadness.

"Lord Archibald?"  archer stares down the coffin and finally takes his eyes away as he eyes the man in crane armor and asks.

"Who are you?"

"I am Augustus Crane uncle to the former queen"

"do you come here to challenge my rule?" Archibald asks gripping his fist around the hilt of his sword and Augustus shakes his head disagreeing.

"no instead I come to offer you, aide-"

"aide?"

"yes, you will need support to cement your rule of the Cranes-"

"do I?" Archibald keeps his hand on the hilt of his blade and Augustus eyes the fine craftsmanship and nods his head to his new king."

"I feel we can both gain something from you as the new king-"

"I already am king.." Archibald turns his head and the man bows his head showing respect."

"I come here as a man who needs help from his king but also as a man who can help you gain the respect of your new people."

the man lowers his voice but Archibald motions to him.

"stand in my sight. I don't easily trust a Crane-"

"nor do they you Archibald. I come to offer you a way to peace. the plateau Cranes won't easily sway but I have an idea where we both gain something. you the respect and me something precious." 

"precious?"

"my daughter Casey. she is my light sadly the Cranes had her sold off to live her life as an overseer for political gains..."

"political moves are a part of the world Augustus. my own to lady shaw was political and we did quite fine-"

"no, this man is much older, treats her poorly. I could not go against my king when lord crane decided it wasn't as political as he claimed. it was revenge and nothing more-"

"was his right to do so." Archibald nods and the man steps forward.

"I'm aware it was his right but he is dead, his sister is dead and you now need a bride. if that bride was a Crane bride  it would give you a political edge and smooth things over with the plateau cranes."