A Study in Pink: Chapter 9

"Lestrade?" You questioned, looking around at the police searching through Sherlock's flat. Lestrade sat in Sherlock's chair, studying Jennifer's suitcase. Crap... you thought. This was going to get you into a lot of trouble once he found out you were the one who brought the case here. He could even get you fired from your job, if it made him angry enough. You'd done this in the past before: withheld evidence. Lestrade had let you off with angry warnings, but sharing evidence with someone else was a whole other story.

"What are you doing?" Sherlock said as he burst through the door behind you, seeing all the people digging through his belongings. He walked straight up to Lestrade, who was still sitting smugly in Sherlock's chair, looking rather amused.

"Well I knew you'd find the case, I'm not stupid." Lestrade said, staring at Sherlock then glancing back at you.

"You can't just break into my flat!" He yelled angrily, glancing around as he tried to defend himself.

"You can't withhold evidence, and I didn't break into your flat." Lestrade answered, leaning back into Sherlock's chair. You inwardly groaned, Lestrade was yelling at Sherlock and punishing him for something you did.

"Well what do you call this, then?" Sherlock gestured to all the people searching his flat. He wasn't telling Lestrade you'd brought the case here... maybe he was trying to protect you? You thought, studying him. He most likely knew that if Lestrade found out you'd found the case and didn't hand it in to the police, but instead shared it with him, that it could easily get you fired from your job. You weren't letting him take the hit for you.

"It's a drugs bust." Lestrade said, grinning. This caused an outburst from John who started laughing from beside Sherlock. You stood away quietly, from the moment you laid eyes on Sherlock you had known he was an addict, you deduced it from him when he had challenged you to. This just confirmed the seriousness of his addiction. Or at least how bad it'd gotten in the past.

"Seriously? This guy, a junkie? Have you met him?" John laughed, shaking his head. You bit your lower lip crossing your arms.

"John..." Sherlock started, trying to get John to stop talking. You looked up at Sherlock after that, wide eyed. He still did drugs... maybe not as often as in his past, but the fact he tried to cut off John showed there was indeed drugs held hidden in the flat somewhere. He relapsed when he needed to... he'd said the nicotine helped him think, it was possible Sherlock believed something stronger would boost his thinking beyond what nicotine could.

"I'm pretty sure, you could search this flat all day, you wouldn't find anything you could call recreational-" John was soon cut off by Sherlock.

"John, you probably want to shut up now..." He trailed off, catching your eyes as he looked away. You looked towards your feet, rubbing your arms reassuringly. You weren't going to say a word.

"Yeah, but come on..." John looked at Sherlock, who had a warning look on his face. "Y/N?" John asked, looking to you and you stood silent. John's eyes went wide when you didn't speak.

"No!" John yelled not believing that Sherlock could be a druggie. Based off of his intelligence, most people wouldn't guess he did drugs.

"What?" Sherlock asked, looking at him. He seemed to be becoming offencive.

"You?" John shook his head, almost in amusement.

"Shut up!" Sherlock yelled, annoyed with John. He then turned to Lestrade. "I'm not your sniffer dog." He stated, crossing his arms in a pout.

"No! Anderson's my sniffer dog." Lestrade gestured towards the kitchen and you looked to see Anderson. He waved playfully at Sherlock, very amused by the current situation. Sherlock spun around, glaring at him. You really hated that guy, always going out of his way to hurt his enemies. He used anyone he could to make himself look good.