The Sign of Three: The End

Sherlock disappeared for the third time that night. You'd been discussing the case further when he'd suddenly walked off and you hadn't seen him since. You were getting tired of chasing him everywhere and wondering where and why he'd run off. The sun was setting and the reception was truly about to start, you wanted to find him before Lestrade brought back the photographer.

"Molly, have you seen Sherlock?" You looked down one of the hallways in the building, only seeing a few people milling around. None of them being Sherlock.

"No, sorry." Molly told you, walking off hand in hand with Tom. You watched them walk off and sighed. Of course Molly wouldn't know where Sherlock was... she seemed to be over him now.

You continued to search the building, finally finding him in one of the sitting rooms in the back. He was looking down at the photographer's camera. You stepped quietly into the room seeing John, Lestrade, the photographer, plus Janine. You looked briefly at Janine before Sherlock looked up from the camera, nodding as he handed the camera over to Greg.

"Try looking yourself." He stated. Lestrade flipped through the camera's photos not sure what he was looking for. John and Janine both joined him in looking at the photographs.

"Um, look for what?" John asked, looking up from the camera at Sherlock. You stepped to his side, already knowing what was going on. You and Sherlock had figured all this out earlier, you were a bit disappointed he hadn't waited for you, though. You thought he'd at least tell you when the photographer got here. "Is the murderer in these photographs?"

"It's not about what's in the photographs; it's what's not in them, in any of them." You spoke as you looked over the photographer, you'd done your research on him and he had quite the motive. Jonathan Small... He didn't seem that you had caught on to him yet, if he did he was playing it cool in order to avoid being caught.

"The showing off thing, guys? We've discussed this." John sighed looking back and forth between you and Sherlock. You gave him a small grin, you just liked to show off every now and again.

"There is always a man at a wedding who is not in any photograph but can go anywhere, and even carry an equipment bag around with him if he likes, and you never even see his face. You only ever see..." Sherlock stepped closer to the photographer, slapping handcuffs over one of his wrists in a quick motion and handcuffing him to a large luggage trolley. "...the camera."

"What are you doing? What is this?" The photographer complained, shaking his cuffed wrist. He was still playing dumb as he looked angrily at Sherlock. You rolled your eyes, that wasn't going to last long once the evidence came out and into the open.

"Jonathan Small, today's substitute wedding photographer - known to us as the Mayfly Man. His brother was one of the raw recruits killed in that incursion. Jonny sought revenge on Sholto, worked his way through Sholto's staff, found what he needed... Sherlock, do the honors." You looked to him and Sherlock pulled out his phone, showing articles to John and Lestrade of the research you'd dug up on him.

"He needed an invitation to the wedding, the one time Sholto would have to be out in public. So, he made his plan and rehearsed the murder, making sure of every last detail." Sherlock spoke.

"Via 'The Bloody Guardsman', but this time he was sure he wouldn't fail." You smirked at Jonathan. He looked calmly at you and Sherlock, but his eyes said it all. He was driven mad by the death of his brother and had been seeking revenge ever since.

"Brilliant, ruthless, almost certainly a monomaniac... though, in fairness, his photographs are actually quite good." Sherlock looked at Jonathan's intense stare before he sighed, turning to Lestrade. He tossed his phone to him, which Lestrade easily caught in his open hand. "Everything you need's on that. You probably ought to... arrest him or something."