The Lying Detective: Chapter 4

After Smith finished with his little 'show' in front of all the kids, he finally dismissed all of you. Apparently, he had something he wanted to show the three of you. So you were all left alone with Smith as he led you through the hospital.

You couldn't help but feel majorly uncomfortable letting him take you somewhere in this hospital; this was his domain, after all. But, you went along with it anyway, knowing there was no way he'd try anything with all three of you together.

"Where are we going now?" Sherlock asked Smith as he looked around the corridor. It was painted a bright shade of white that hurt your eyes if you looked at it too long. Occasionally you'd pass a door or two that lead into offices, but Smith didn't seem interested in the offices.

"I want to show you my favourite room." Smith told him, continuing to walk down the hall. You followed with a sigh, not really looking forward to finding out what Smith's favorite room was.

You walked for a few moments in silence when Sherlock stopped at a door, deciding to go in after peering through the door's window. "No, let's go in here." He said before pulling the door open and stepping inside. You followed after him, curious as to what he had spotted.

It was some sort of boardroom that hosted meetings. It was clear, however, that this was not a room where normal meetings were held. There was a large table in the center of the room with eight chairs placed around it. It would look normal enough, if there weren't IV carts set up next to each chair. You figured this had to do with Smith and the meetings he hosted that Sherlock had told you about.

"So you've had another one of your little meetings." Sherlock spoke up after both Smith and John had joined you in the room. Sherlock looked at Smith with a look that seemed to be reading him like an x-ray machine. But, he didn't seem to be getting the information he quite wanted to have.

"Oh, it's just a monthly top-up. Confession is good for the soul... providing you can delete it." He gave Sherlock a smug smile and you squinted your eyes at him, whilst crossing your arms. If you could hate this man any more...

"What's TD12?" John asked, eyeing the IV bags that were hung up.

"It's a memory inhibitor." You turned to Smith with a scowl. How he was even allowed to use the drug on people was beyond you. That stuff was no joke.

"Bliss." Smith shrugged.

"Bliss?" John questioned with narrowed eyes.

"Opt-in ignorance. Makes the world go round." Smith told you all, tucking his hands into his pockets. You shifted on your feet, continuing to keep a close eye on him.

"Anyone ever 'opt' to remember?" Sherlock shot, crossing his arms as well as he looked across the table at Smith.

"Some people take the drip out, yeah. Some people have the same... urges. Huh... come on. Wasting time." Smith changed the subject, clapping his hands together. You tried to figure out what the man was thinking, but he had built himself a life of lies. He wasn't going to break easily. He turned towards the door, ready to move on. As if this stop was some huge inconvenience to him.

"Indeed. You have – I estimate – twenty minutes left." Sherlock told him after glancing down at his watch. He walked towards the door behind Smith, but Smith stopped to look at Sherlock with a partly confused look.

"Sorry?"

"I sent a text from your phone, remember? It was read almost immediately. Factoring in a degree of shock, an emotional decision and a journey time based on the associated address, I'd say that your life as you know it has twenty minutes left to run." Sherlock looked at his watch again before shaking his head. "Well, no, seventeen and a half, to be precise but I rounded up for dramatic effect, so please do show us your favourite room. It'll give you a chance to say... goodbye." At the last word Sherlock bent down towards Smith, his voice low and threatening. You all stood there in what seemed to be minutes of awkward silence that was really only a couple of seconds. You blinked, looking in between Smith and Sherlock.